Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 AM

Default I folded AK Unsuited Pre-Flop

This is at the final table of a No-Limit Hold 'Em Tournament. The entry fee was $4.40 I folded AK off pre-flop and would love to hear some general opinions about folding this hand in general and about this hand specifically if anyone has the time. Here is the hand, we're 5 handed. The blinds were up to 800/1600, ante's were 150.

Rivoli was a tough, tricky player who slowplayed, trapped, check-raised, seemed to have fun with it.

Esconbanos seemed solid, had only shown down one hand, KK.

West - Folds
Rivoli - Raises to 4800 (has 42,262)
Escobanos - Raises to 19,200 (has 79,582)
McGrain - Folds (This is me, I had 114,353)

Anyway, it got folded all the way around and Esconbanos scooped the pot.

So that's the fold. What do you guys think? A bit weak? Letting AK go pre-flop is not something I'm used to.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Re: I folded AK Unsuited Pre-Flop

How many chips have all players? Normally the payout structure makes a big difference between 3rd,4rd and 5th. And if someone has only marginally chips left, you dont want to risk placement with a coinflip hand.

If you want to win the tournament you have to call. AA,KK is unlikely(you hold an Ace and a King). You dominate all Aces and coinflip against lower pair. Plus: Some dead money in the pot!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 AM

i'd be reraising there every time, especially since you are the big stack.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 AM

I would say this was a fold in a tourney, especially if the re-raiser seems solid. You have a good chip count and don't really want to involved with a guy who could take over 70% of your chips. He could well have KK or AA and if you were to call and the flop comes down with A or K, then you are in trouble.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many chips have all players?

[/ QUOTE ]

The other two guys were short, 15,000 and 19,000
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say this was a fold in a tourney, especially if the re-raiser seems solid. You have a good chip count and don't really want to involved with a guy who could take over 70% of your chips. He could well have KK or AA and if you were to call and the flop comes down with A or K, then you are in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, this was my thinking at the time. It must also be said (& I know we all know it) that AK is an underdog against 2's. Also, it's possible I can end up in a three way pot - as I said, the original raiser was a really trappy, difficult player, perfectly capable of a steal like bet followed by an all in re-raise with bullets.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM

Not at all worried about Rivoli but Escobanos is showing real strengh.

Some would say your play was weak but I am ok with your fold if your reads are correct. However, Esco will have the same reads on Rivooli as you if he has been paying attention. So he may just be testing him but doubtful.

At some stage you need to play forcefully if you want to win and I think you can argue for a fold, call or a raise from you. No right answer.

Perhaps pzhon will come on here with some good mathmatical answer.

I think your play was ok - it is still only A high. If you were first to act however the answer would be very different.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Once more thing - you said he had shown KK before. How he played this should have a bearing. If he bet big like in this case, I lay it down. However, if he had slow played I may push him here. It really is a large bet and you could read it as someone who doesn't want a call.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM

Little to be learned from the KK hand i'm afraid - it was an all call v jacks. Other than that he'd been pretty quiet.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 AM

As stated before, it depends if you are there to win or make a nice cash. Personally I would fold as I would be hoping the initial raiser would be all in against the other player and got knocked out, moving me up the pay ladder. If I was to play the hand I would would reraise all in. Just out of interest would you lay down QQ in that spot? There is not much difference between them if you are pushing