Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Default NLCSH... I seem to be having trouble at the beginning

Lately I've been losing a lot at the beginning of heads up matches until I figure out how my opponent plays. After about 50 hands, feel as though I have an advantage on everyone I've played (and it shows), but the beginning has been tough.

Two hands, sorry they're not converted, I don't have PT on my laptop.

Second hand of session. Sb raises to 6, I call w/ KT. Flop is 26T and I chk/call a 2/3psb. Turn is a 2 and I chk/call another 2/3psb. River is a K, I chk, SB bets 2/3psb again, I think for a while, figure I only beat a bluff, and he's def not calling w/ anything worse if a raise, and just call. He showed 26 for trips. Standard?

Against another opponent: SB raises to 6, I call w/ QT. Flop is 669, I chk/ he bets 8/I raise to 24 thinking theres a good chance the flop didnt hit him- he calls. Turn is an 8 giving me a double gutter, and I lead for 2/3pot, he calls. River is a 2. At this point I figure SB has a 9 which he isn't crazy about, and I've shown a lot of strength so he'll fold. Therefore, I fire a psb bet (allin), and he instacalls w/ 97 for tp no kicker.
Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: NLCSH... I seem to be having trouble at the beginning

Hand 1 you need to raise the river. you have top 2 pair. Heads up is like any other poker, you need to maximize value with your made hands.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Hand 1 - Stop with the "figure I only beat a bluff" crap. You beat a lot of hands and not re-raising is horrible.

Hand 2 - I don't have a problem with c/r a dry flop if he's raising a ton of hands pre-flop. But as soon as he calls, I would probably give up on the turn.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:26 PM

also, in hand 2...you can save some $ and only bet 1/2 pot on the river. Whether is 1/2 or psb, villain is either calling or folding. at this point, you're trying to push out overcards and hopefully small pockets.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:29 PM

Hand 1 I want all the money in the middle on the river. Dont be results orientated.

hand 2 just fold the flop. No point making moves on players until you get some kind of read on how light they are willing to call. I have yet to find a weak player who will fold any top pair hand without a 4 straight or 4 flush out and even then some do.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Alright 2nd hand is bad- don't bluff unless you know your opponent is capable of folding.

1st hand however I disagree with everyone, and I don't want to come off as a dick. If we put his range on: any 2, any 10, 22, 66,TT+, exactly 6T or K6, and random bluffs- what part of this range is calling if we push? He's calling with: any 2, any full house, AA, maybe K6, maybe QQ-JJ. I'm sorry, but I'm way behind that range.

Fact is, if I push (or raise a smaller amount), I can expect to be behind >90% of time when called.