Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Re: NL $25: KK In Position, Facing River All-in.

In trying to respond to this post, I've come up with a number of possibilities, which all seem to suck really, really badly. The stack sizes are just plain awkward on the turn.

Solution: either smooth call preflop or reraise to at least 10% of your stack preflop (from$.50, make it $3). 10% of your stack gives villain rougly 9:1 odds to stack you with a PP. He needs 8:1 for a set. It would appear that Hero is still laying odds, but he's not. An ace will flop plenty often enough to allow Hero to fold against a set when an ace flops.

Here's how the hand plays out with a reraise to $3 preflop.

Flop (pot = $5.95), Hero ($22)
Hero bets $6, villain calls.

Turn (pot = $18),, Hero ($16)
Villain checks, Hero moves all-in (t$16).

As played, I like checking behind on the turn. I'd fold to the overbet push on the river. 1.66:1 odds just aren't that good. Lots of better hands (top two, sets, straights) might play the same way. Busted flush draws might also do the same, but I don't think there are enough busted flush draws. If he was bluffing, you'll get his stack later. This paragraph might be terrible advice, though. This turn/river situation sucks and no play is really all that good IMO.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 PM

At these limits, players will push any two cards on the river when checked behind on the turn :X Sometimes they have you beat but mostly they have air or some pair.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 PM

As played i call. By showing weakness on the turn, villain might have seen an opportunity to make a move w/ a busted flush draw, or even thought his TPGK was good. Villain could even be refusing to let go of AK. The only hand that really scares me is JJ where villain tried to c/r on the turn.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Solution: either smooth call preflop or reraise to at least 10% of your stack preflop (from$.50, make it $3). 10% of your stack gives villain rougly 9:1 odds to stack you with a PP. He needs 8:1 for a set. It would appear that Hero is still laying odds, but he's not. An ace will flop plenty often enough to allow Hero to fold against a set when an ace flops.

Here's how the hand plays out with a reraise to $3 preflop.

Flop (pot = $5.95), Hero ($22)
Hero bets $6, villain calls.

Turn (pot = $18),, Hero ($16)
Villain checks, Hero moves all-in (t$16).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this.

In the future I will try to remember to think about my re-raises like this.

Like I said, I ended up calling and he turned over AJ. I wore down the clock though because I was perplexed.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:14 PM

Preflop reraise is fine. Flop bet is fine.

Turn is tough.

Checking is OK for pot control, with the understanding that you're trading that for giving villain a free card, and with knowledge that you may induce a river bluff. But villain's push is a little more than I imagine you bargained for.

One alternate is to go 2/3 pot on the turn, fold to a c/r, and hope villain checks the river, allowing you to check it through. Trouble is, if he pushes at that point, you're pretty much pot committed.

The thing is, in a reraised pot, standard bets very easily get you all in. You have a great chance of being ahead preflop, but plenty of money is going to go into this no matter what.

So with KK preflop, I might also be inclined to just play this incredibly fast -- pot, pot, rest -- and hope from the start that my opponent is packing a worse pair, the chances of which are excellent. TT/QQ could easily play as villain did; unfortunately JJ could also....
Old 06-27-2006, 08:16 PM

I don't understand the turn check?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the turn check?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about it?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, if the flop was rainbow, would the line on the turn be different?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would have been more comfortable betting, but I think I would have checked behind as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards. You need to be more willing to bet when there are draws the villian could have. Not on dry boards.