Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt. It's bad - I'm worried every time we blitz now.

The problem is that some of our players - and I'm talking blitzers, mainly defensive backs, not the lineman - just have no clue how to rush the quarterback. Their timing and angles are awful. I've seen a lot of delayed blitzes from defensive backs that are so late it's useless. You can't blitz from ten yards behind the LOS - you'll never get there.

The loss of Dawkins really hurts in this regard. Not only is he an outstanding pass rusher, but he's so good in deep coverage that he can help clean up the mess when other people fail their blitzes. I like Mikell a lot, but he can't rush the passer and he isn't as good as Dawk in deep coverage. Considine is useless as a pass rusher. I'd like to see Considine benched when Dawk comes back in favor of Mikell.

The other problem is wrapping up the quarterback when the blitzes succeed. I don't know if it's coaching or personnel or what, but it's a problem we've always had.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad I'm not the only one that worries whenever I see the blitz coming. even in 3rd and really long situations when in past years it seems like they'd be on the QB in an instant, this year it's like they've been getting picked up perfectly.

and I also agree completely concerning finishing tackles when the blitz does succeed. that's happened far too many times this year. I can think of one in particular yesterday where a corner (maybe Sheldon, can't remember) got to Griese before he had any idea he was coming but just kind of overran him. this might go back to what you're saying about taking bad angles on the corner blitzes.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the offensive line gets an "A"; then how did the Giants have 12 sacks? And I'm sorry, considering they are 12th in the league in rushing, the running game does not get an "A+".

Maybe the Eagles simply aren't as good as you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

well I suppose this is a Giants fan that didn't quite read the post carefully enough.

the Giants got most of those sacks due to the injury to Tra Thomas. you presumably watched the game and saw how Winston Justice was beaten repeatedly by Osi. the Eagles O-line is certainly among the best in the league.

and note he did not say running "game" he said running "back," as in Brian Westbrook, who is without question an A+. that's not to take away from Buck, who is a mean runner himself.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? You just lost at home to the Bears?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wtf did you even read my post?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I did. Sorry. Eagles have actually lost to pretty tight defenses, and they should've beat Green Bay.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, considering they are 12th in the league in rushing, the running game does not get an "A+".

[/ QUOTE ]
They're third in YPC, second in Rushing DVOA, and Westbrook is second in all purpose yards. The Eagles do like to pass a lot, you know. And, as Euro said, I was only referring to Westbrook anyway.

As far as the O-line, their pro-bowl LT was injured in favor of a second year player making his first start who played terrible. Not counting that game, they are averaging 2.6 sacks a game, at least half of which were caused by McNabb holding the ball for too long.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

McNabb is way overrated, hes the kinda qb who needs good wide receivers to make up for being a very inaccurate passer. In addition to that he throws the ball so hard, which results in alot of drops, especially for throws where he should take a little off. In the past he made up for these shortcomings by his ability to scramble and create on the run, but he's clearly not fully recovered from surgery. He's trying to be a prototypical passer this season, and thats just not what he is
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for Donovan, he's still going to be better than Kolb this year and next. Hopefully he will continue to get healthier this year and for 2008, but I think by 2009 the reins will be turned over to Kolb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another issue that might be more important than all on field stuff is McNabb's huge contract next year. He'll have to be playing like a top 5 QB by the end of the year, otherwise I could see them dealing him for a draft pick or less likely, a trade.

Also, Kerse is way gone for next (not sure of his contract status for next year, but no way are they paying him either).

Dawkins and LJ have to be a good bet to not be here either.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

McNabb is way overrated, hes the kinda qb who needs good wide receivers to make up for being a very inaccurate passer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet for his tenure he has averaged below average receivers.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

McNabb is way overrated, hes the kinda qb who needs good wide receivers to make up for being a very inaccurate passer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet for his tenure he has averaged below average receivers.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, aside from when he had TO, and not surprisingly that was the only year of his career he completed over 60% of his passes for a whole season

my main point tho was mcnabb is not fully back from injury and thats the main reason why the eagles are struggling at 2-4
Old 10-22-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well, I guess i'm the only one remaining not pushing the panic button JUST yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing. I've been optimistic about our season throughout the poor start, and unlike some others here, still think our team is very talented and can be a playoff team this year and in the near future. But that's why I'm putting so much blame on McNabb. There are really very few weakpoints on our team, especially on offense, and when I try to pinpoint the reason we are losing, there's not much else to go to besides him. I mean, let's try to grade the units.

Offensive Line: A
Running Back: A+
Wide Receiver: B-
Tight End: D

Defensive Line: B
Linebackers: C+
Secondary: A-

Kicker: B+
Punter: B-

How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty fair grades, although I think you underrate the LB's and overrate the secondary. The front 7 has been very good this year against the run and TE's in the passing game- No. 7 in YPC against, and #2 DVOA v. TE's in passing. The secondary is a tough grade, considering the # of injuries - but I think the grade should be lower nonetheless, if not for the last drive against the Bears alone.

The major problem with this team this year, and the reason they are 2-4 is coaching. I was watching NFL network and they had some D-lineman on and they were talking about the NYG o-line. He said they are a nice, tricky group but they wont "just line up and maul you like Philly will/can." The strengths of this team this year are running the football and stopping the run. The gameplans should reflect that (Martyball, call it whatever), but they don't. Reid is creating gameplans like this is still the 2004 team whose strengths were passing and stopping the pass. Get up early and make the opposing team throw on you. That isnt going to work anymore, and if Reid doesn't adjust, a new coach should be brought in.

D
Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Kerse is way gone for next (not sure of his contract status for next year, but no way are they paying him either).

Dawkins and LJ have to be a good bet to not be here either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pending his contract, Kearse might be shown the door. LJ is almost certainly gone as a free agent. Dawkins will be back.