Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Review one whiskey

OK. That's the deal.

Review one whiskey.

That's how every post starts. You are welcome to write more, respond to posts, etc. But before you do that, the post must start with you reviewing one whiskey. Doesn't need to be an essay. Just a review. Short and simple is fine. Bourbon, Tennessee, Scotch, Irish, whatever. Anything goes. Any price point. In fact, the wider the price point covered in this thread the better.

Here's a link to my OOT Whiskey Recommendation thread. Hopefully this thread will get a little deeper content.

I'll get this one started w/ one of my all-time favorites and my standard recommendation to new scotch drinkers who want to buy their first nicer bottle.

Balvenie 12yo Doublewood Scotch Whisky. This scotch is about $35 (please include prices in your review, this varies regionally, but bevmo.com is a good place to look). It's aged in traditional bourbon oak barrels first, to give it the classic Speyside Scotch flavor, which is smokey with a bit of an oaky taste, but very smooth and refined and with very little peaty taste. The aging of this scotch is finished in sherry casks, which adds another flavor element to make this even more complex while adding a hint of sweetness that makes this even smoother. This scotch really illustrates how you can make a whisky that has a very complex flavor and nice, sharp, kick to it, while at the same time being very smooth and easy to drink.