Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 PM

Default A few general questions

Hi, first post here.

I enjoy playing limit O/8(online), and I want to start taking it seriously and see if I can be a winning micro stakes(.05/.10-.25/.50) player. I have a $120 bank roll that can not be replenished, I play on Stars and Full Tilt. Anyways, on to my questions.

1. .05/.10 or .25/.50? Full Tilt doesn't offer FL O/8 at .05/.10, but I have rake-back there.

2. Full ring or six max? No six max at Stars.

3. Reading materials, good posts here?

I have other questions, but I'm just hoping to get a response to this poat. I read the FAQ, but it was just about posting HHs.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: A few general questions

In terms of books, there is only Ray Zee's book, a chapter in SSII and possibly the Mike Capelleti book. I can vouch for Ray's book having read it and the chapter in SSII adds at least one wrinkle as for Mike's book well I have not read it but some do like it.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Also Tenner/Kreiger. Digest all of that information, and then the expert-level discussion here (some of which still goes over my head) will make more sense.

Good luck. The pond is overfished & full of sharks. Your local live action game is going to be a better option.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:58 PM

Ok, thank you for the suggestions.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. .05/.10 or .25/.50? Full Tilt doesn't offer FL O/8 at .05/.10, but I have rake-back there.

2. Full ring or six max? No six max at Stars.

3. Reading materials, good posts here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how either 1. or 2. are actually questions.
Use trial and error to decide what is best for you. 6max clearly favors more aggressive players, whereas full-ring is a more suited to nutpeddling. Both are good experiences, but it will depend on your own playing style.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Welcome to the forum.

1. .25/.50 should be fine, but if your bankroll drops too far, you can move down to .10/.20. Having played in both of those games, there is very little difference in skill level.

2. I would start will Full Ring. I would only move to 6-max once: 1) your bankroll grows higher 2) you feel very comfortable and "in your element" playing Full Ring.

3. Try the books mentioned so far (Tenner/SuperSystem II). I would hold on on the Ray Zee book until you are a bit more advanced. Read through as many posts as you can in the archive. I am a beginner such as yourself, so reading through some of the hands I posted may be helpful to you. Just search for threads posted by my screenname.

Here is a link for articles on O8 in cardplayer magazine: http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/category/omaha_8b

Also check out www.o8poker.com and Annie Duke's articles on 08 here: http://ultimatebet.com/poker-strategy

Read through as many posts by Buzz as you can. He's very knowledgeable about the game and explains things in such a way to make them easy to understand for a new player.

He also has written for the 2+2 Internet Magazine. You can private message him, and I'm sure he'd be willing to send you any old articles.

bbartlog is another poster who has been very helpful. His expertise is more in the realm of pot-limit, but he provides useful insights nonetheless.

There are a number of other very successful posters as well. Sometimes you have to wade through some unproductive trash talking and other low-content stuff, but other times you will find some constructive posts. In general, they are willing to help provided you put spend the time to put thought into your posts.

Hope this post helps you in some way.