Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2006, 06:01 PM

Default 5/10 Live (Borgata) against LAG

Villain has just recently sat at the table. Although he is clearly a new player (and not from another table), he has been allowed to sit with over $3K (max is supposed to be $1,500). This is undoubtedly because he is a regular, which is how they roll at the Borgata. They pretended he had come from another table (which I happen to know he did not). This didn't bother me, as I don't like cappped buy ins anyway, but this is why Villain has me covered although he has just recently sat down. Also, I like to rant about how the regulars get special treatment at the Borg (and pretty much every other card room).

I have $2600 and villain covers.

From what people have been saying since villain sat, he is a LAG.

He gets involved in some decent pots right away. He wins one after betting the river when a possible flush card hits. His opponent folds, and Villain jokes that he would have went all-in if he missed his flush, but that when he hits it he value bets. A couple of regulars are laughing and are discussing how this is true.

This seems like a highly exploitable strategy to me, and I am not sure if it can possibly be true.

I am viewed as very tight. I haven't played a hand since Villain has sat.

I make it $40 to go from UTG+1 with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villain calls on the button, and all others fold.

Flop (2 players, $95):

3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lead for $75. He makes it $325. I call. I am thinking that he has me squarely on an overpair.

Turn (2 players, $745):

T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. He bets $600. I have $2235 left.

I am thinking of check raising all-in.

Instead, I just call. I am sure he has me on a high overpair. The plan is to check any river to him. If I hit (not just the flush, but two pair or trips) I am definitely hoping he bets big.

River (2 players, $1945)

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I have $1635 left.

I check. He quickly announces all-in.

I go into the tank. I think there is a good possibility my pair is good here. The way he and the others described his play, he bombs the river when he misses.

Still, can he really have such an exploitable strategy? And if he did, why would he tell everyone and then immediately follow through on it?

Plus, this river push is not an overbet. $1635 (all of my chips) is not even a full pot sized bet. So this could very well just be a value bet. It is possible he was semi-bluffing but has now made a hand which beats one pair and he is sure I have an overpair.

He's shown agression on every street, so obviously I can only beat a bluff here. I think about what he has me on, and I know he thinks I have AA or KK. The thing is, can he expect an unknown to fold AA? I usually don't bluff unknowns. Of course, all of my reasoning can be wrong because I simply don't think like a LAG!

Call or fold here?

Also, I would like comments on my turn play, because I don't like it (given my view of the Villain).