Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Default PSA/Rant: Asking people what they think of your parlays (somewhat LC)

It doesn't make any sense. This is supposed to be a strategy forum. Asking what someone thinks of your parlay is like asking whether you should raise 53o on the button in limit after five limpers. If you posted that question in a strategy forum you would get flamed. The answer is no now and will be the same tomorrow and every day after. I understand if you are doing parlays for fun or to hit a big score, but I am convinced many people in this forum think their long-run return is going to be better with parlays than with straight betting. I really have no point, other than that I find it bizarre that the culture of this "strategy" sub-forum is much different than every other one on 2+2, in that it doesn't seem like many people are trying to improve their game.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: PSA/Rant: Asking people what they think of your parlays (somewhat LC)

Agreed on the strat angle.

But, I like to read others parlay posts for the "sweat".

I think its fun to root for others. (guess i'm just a nice guy).

But, yeah.. if you take it seriously straights > parlays everyday and twice on Sunday.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: PSA/Rant: Asking people what they think of your parlays (somewhat

Most NFL sundays I'll put together a $5 12 teamer or something just for fun (haven't hit one yet dammit). But yeah random uncorrelated parlays involving multiple sports, etc. are a total waste of time unless you're just doing it for fun. I'm getting tired of those threads too, although I can't really say I add much each day with just my random posting of baseball plays.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most NFL sundays I'll put together a $5 12 teamer or something just for fun (haven't hit one yet dammit). But yeah random uncorrelated parlays involving multiple sports, etc. are a total waste of time unless you're just doing it for fun. I'm getting tired of those threads too, although I can't really say I add much each day with just my random posting of baseball plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I am not adding much content at the moment either. I've just noticed a ton of parlay threads as of late and am concerned when I see people throwing large percentages of their bankrolls on them.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: PSA/Rant: Asking people what they think of your parlays (somewhat LC)

Well said Homer.

It seems to me that people just don't have the patience to slowly build up a roll, betting over $500 with a $5k roll is the reason why people go bust one after another. I see no point in risking my bankroll to win $500 or 1k because it is not really a large sum of money, much like people keep "taking shots" in poker and play at a level too high, the games will be here tomorrow and after so why the rush? I know people want attention but posting something like that in forum is almost retarded.

Everyone sees it when someone got lucky, the truth is that many more people go busto and nobody noticed.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 PM

ImNew,

Actually no one cares. Half the threads suck. There isn't a whole lot to be said that doesn't directly involve handing someone EV.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed on the strat angle.

But, I like to read others parlay posts for the "sweat".

I think its fun to root for others. (guess i'm just a nice guy).

But, yeah.. if you take it seriously straights > parlays everyday and twice on Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm absolutely down with having parlay sweat threads. Nothing wrong with a little -ev fun. My main concern is people are trying to use parlays to make a real income (not including correlated parlays here, of course).
Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I am not adding much content at the moment either. I've just noticed a ton of parlay threads as of late and am concerned when I see people throwing large percentages of their bankrolls on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal favorites are like a 4 teamer:

1. huge nba favorite ML
2. huge nhl favorite ML
3. huge mlb favorite ML
4. some random O/U play

for 20% of their roll.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:53 PM

"the truth is that many more people go busto and nobody noticed."

There was a post in 'general' a few months ago I think by some 2+2'er who posted under an anonymous account to tell about how he had run-up a pretty bad debt and screwed-up his life somewhat by his over-betting on sports.
It was pretty heart-breaking.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM

Ok, for a question that is somewhat on topic. For example, during the elite eight I posted that I thought UCLA would beat Kansas if the total went under. I played both the under and UCLA for a unit and then parlayed the two for 1/2 unit. Is it correct/+EV to make this play if I believe they are correlated even though my beliefs may be wrong.