Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: johnny hughes answer this

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to those who didn't call me a liar or an imposter. I would like to apologize to Don Olney if I got the location of Stuey's death wrong or the amount of money he had. It was not important to the point of my message. I sure doubt your wife's uncles in San Franciso will know me. I shot dice there once but never played poker there.

I am new here. Can any of you suggest a friendly Web site where an older guy will be welcome?

I met Bill Smith and Longgoodie in 1959. Both were top no limit players and played in the largest games. They couldn't beat the big game in Odessa with Johnny Moss, Paul Harvey, Sailor Roberts, Doyle Brunson, Amarillo Slim, and Treetop Straus. I couldn't beat it either. Most of the early winners of the World Series played in this game which lasted a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Hughes,

You are welcome here. I really enjoyed your stories written on pokerpages, and would love to hear more. If you are ever in Austin I would like to buy you a drink.

JB
Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM

the thing about the internet, is that there will always be people being rude and acting stupid because of the anonymity. just ignore them, and you'll see that most people are welcoming and appreciate the stories.

keep posting.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to those who didn't call me a liar or an imposter. I would like to apologize to Don Olney if I got the location of Stuey's death wrong or the amount of money he had. It was not important to the point of my message. I sure doubt your wife's uncles in San Franciso will know me. I shot dice there once but never played poker there.

I am new here. Can any of you suggest a friendly Web site where an older guy will be welcome?

I met Bill Smith and Longgoodie in 1959. Both were top no limit players and played in the largest games. They couldn't beat the big game in Odessa with Johnny Moss, Paul Harvey, Sailor Roberts, Doyle Brunson, Amarillo Slim, and Treetop Straus. I couldn't beat it either. Most of the early winners of the World Series played in this game which lasted a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny ...

When you press the link of the name of the hater posters -- it is on your left -- you can use the "Ignore this user" option. It is a must on these forums.

NCAces
Old 02-16-2007, 01:29 PM

Johnny,
No need. I was just a little confused about the hotel.
No big deal. I also would like to say I am in now way doubting what you are saying or telling in your post. I find it most interesting to hear how the game was back in the days before this last poker boom.

If you had ever run across an older player from the 70's named Ray Leggett (played in the 1st. wsop) that is the wifes uncle. Anyway. Hope to see many more of your post in the near future.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Johnny Hughes could be real, he could be made up. On another site I frequent, Johnny was a regular poster and aspiring biographer. The posts made on this forum are cut and pastes of his posts on that forum.

The 2+2 "Johnny Hughes" could be a gimmick account here that is using the original material.

Or it could be the original Johnny Hughes who is cutting and pasting his own stuff.

Or maybe, it is a writer who is "co-opting" a road gambler's stories as his own under this moniker on both sites. The stories are good, factual enough to make sense and are entertaining. I am pro Johnny Hughes. I am not convinced this 2+2 poster is the REAL Johnny Hughes.

LLL
Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Johnny Hughes could be real, he could be made up. On another site I frequent, Johnny was a regular poster and aspiring biographer. The posts made on this forum are cut and pastes of his posts on that forum.

The 2+2 "Johnny Hughes" could be a gimmick account here that is using the original material.

Or it could be the original Johnny Hughes who is cutting and pasting his own stuff.

Or maybe, it is a writer who is "co-opting" a road gambler's stories as his own under this moniker on both sites. The stories are good, factual enough to make sense and are entertaining. I am pro Johnny Hughes. I am not convinced this 2+2 poster is the REAL Johnny Hughes.

LLL

[/ QUOTE ]

Citations please?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 PM

Default The Real Deal

The phrase "The Real Deal" has been trademarked by TruePoker. (Apparently, Evander Holyfield did not care to object to our application.)

However, we have no objection to the use of "The Real Deal" in every day speech, just throw in a mention of our site.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:33 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.
Default Re: The Real Deal

[ QUOTE ]
The phrase "The Real Deal" has been trademarked by TruePoker. (Apparently, Evander Holyfield did not care to object to our application.)

However, we have no objection to the use of "The Real Deal" in every day speech, just throw in a mention of our site.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Phil Gordon's first book?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Johnny,

Please keep posting.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look.

When was it published ?

(This would be worth a look because I recall a player, whose name escapes me, complaining that a Travel Channel-produced spot for us, in the first WPT season, used his "hands" in a shot without permission.)