Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Prahlad, awesome poker - or dumb ego?

Considering he was 1 of only 3 poker "pros" left in the field, i am surprised just how personally he took the bluff showdown from Lisandro.

The very next opportunity, he reraised lisandro's pp with 92 to 300000. WOW...reallllly good pro move there.

Then bluff raises him on the turn with board full of hi cards to get lisandro to laydown his hand, and then shows him up by flipping cards over.

Makes for good TV, makes for a good ego boost, but is this good poker? Why on earth would you want to put so much on the line and risk near 2 weeks of work just so you can show someone up.

The chance someone (especially another pro), could put him on a bluff steal considering what just happened prior is there. The fact that he raised preflop, and all hi cards flopped the board makes it even more dangerous, and stupid IMHO.

Sure it looks great, looks like he outplayed him, but why would you want to put so many chips of your in such a dangerous spot just so you can show someone up???

It was pure stupidity to me.

Putting down a bluff when your in a hand legit and miss your draw and its your only option left to win a hand...OK.

Or putting it down cuz your hand is weak and you sense weakness...OK.

But setting yourself up from the get go in a situation where you know you are going to have to make a significant bluff to win the pot is just downright idiotic.

Anyways..it worked for him so i suppose he looks awesome, but i wasnt impressed.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Prahlad, awesome poker - or dumb ego?

Making huge assumptions about the motives for plays made by one of the worlds best NL players....idiotic
Old 09-13-2006, 06:40 PM

He seems to be a pretty smug, arrogant, and insincere douche from what I saw and I agree with what you're saying to an extent. I was surprised that Lisandro let him get away with it twice. I thought the second time looked like such an obvious bluff.

Of course, ESPN may have edited this little sequence out of several hours worth of play.

I'm also fairly convinced Friedman was shooting an angle on Lisandro with that ante crap in effort to tilt him. This was probably meant as more fuel to the fire.

That all said, I think he probably plays fairly well, likely better then Lisandro. Doesn't mean he isn't a [censored].
Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 PM

I agree. The 9 2 hand was just a stupid play that happened to work out. The hand with 6 3 and the all-in move with the busted flush draw was strong poker indeed, given that he knew what he was doing, which I believe he did.

He didnt bluff raise him on the turn though like you were writing. He made a continuation bet on the flop from SB or BB, and lisandro mucked his hand. And after all he was defending his blinds, and it gives him a big edge showing how willing he is to defend it to the whole table when he shows the bluff. So by second thought its not a stupid play, but I wouldnt call it good either.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:00 PM

prahlad has been known to do moves like this often
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 PM

The answer to this is probably "yes".

Again, if you've ever sweated him online, so much of what we saw is like way standard for him.

I would say it's less of an angle shoot and more the fact that Prahlad is like really weird and umm... vigilant with his feelings about poker ethics. Find some of his posts on here.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Making huge assumptions about the motives for plays made by one of the worlds best NL players....idiotic

[/ QUOTE ]
qft
Old 09-13-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
qft

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 PM

I think that's just how prahlad plays. In the few short orbits that Prahlad and I played together, deep in the WSOP 1K rebuy, he re-raised me twice in position with rags, and showed them after I folded.

The third time he re-raised me, I pushed allin with 99, and he called allin with fours.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 PM

Shane it sure would have been nice to see you knock Eric Molina on his ass (sigh)