Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: nut flush on river, can I call here?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, even at micro limits it's unusual for someone to raise on the river with a non-nut flush on a paired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was part of a microstakes O/8 hand recently (part of a HORSE ring game) where two players ended up heads up and they ended up capping the river with a paired board. One had the A-high flush, the other the K-high flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

In games like this, I usually open up my playable hand range and see a lot more showdowns, and raise like crazy with strong hands, because more likely than not you're going to get paid off. nit play get destroyed when 4-5 people are regularly going to showdown, because a made hand on the flop never wins. games like these are incredibly exploitable if you know how to adjust properly to the situation, which I guess could be said for all of poker.

within 20-30 minutes of sitting down, I can usually figure out about how tight or loose i should be playing, and what kind of hand strengths are going to be good at showdown.

The game that this hand went down didn't seem as loose/bad as it was, and after the hand I obviously started loosening up my hand criteria, which is one of the key lessons learned from a hand like this.