Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Stars Step 6a TPTK 7 Left

Dunno if I should change anything here, villain is unknown and hasnt done much yet, pay structure is like 6th and 7th get 500, 4th and 5th get 1k, 2nd and 3rd get 1500 1st gets PCA package

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t2710)
BB (t3595)
Hero (t3105)
MP1 (t3410)
MP2 (t7725)
CO (t2700)
Button (t3755)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t175.

Flop: (t675) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t675) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t300.

River: (t1875) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t1800 (All-In) Hero ?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Stars Step 6a TPTK 7 Left

The flop is not coordinated, so why not fire out a bet into a re-raised pot?

The way this played out, the villian has a wide range on the river. I think that I put him on KK, AQ or a set, but I call the river.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:47 PM

on the turn i probably would've pushed... - i think i'm calling the river although it's a crying call
Old 10-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Fold to the reraise preflop? I don't know that seems kinda weak.

Villian would bet AA or KK on the flop because of the flush draw out there, no?

I guess he can have AdKd, or maybe jacks and think he's good after you check the flop. Problem is he has tens just as often as jacks, and still shows up with QQ+ some of the time.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 PM

AdKd bets the flop a lot though, I don't know, this hand is tough to play out of position. He basically has nuts or nothing on the river, I guess I'd go off timing and feel to see where the scales get tipped. Maybe fold, eh I don't know.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:58 PM

i would just fold preflop to the reraise with stacks being so deep. win a small one or loose a big one...
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is not coordinated, so why not fire out a bet into a re-raised pot?

The way this played out, the villian has a wide range on the river. I think that I put him on KK, AQ or a set, but I call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh I generally dont lead in these spots, we're turning our hand into a bluff and Id rather not do that here.

Honestly fold pf is probably the best course of action, playing this oop really sucks, I dont love my line but I dont love any other line either cause playing oop in this type of structure with these stacks sucks, one thing leaning towards a call though is I raise folded earlier vs another opponent, gonna suck if I get rred out of every open.

Oh after the flop check behind I think he's got a set AK or JJ/TT, when he raises turn I start weighting it more towards sets and a few really goofy bluff type hands, in this type of situation should turn just be folded?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I think I grit my teeth and lean towards a fold to the PFRR too. Also agree, though, that this could start sucking for image and you might have to adjust.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:27 PM

i think you'll see QQ or AA a lot here. as much as it sucks i don't see him making the turn miniraise with AK or JJ. even if he did, your range has to include some sort of flush draws that he's now ahead of on the river, so his hand would have some showdown value if he checked. i feel like he is going for value here.

folding pre sucks but it's probably the safest play if villian hasn't done anything yet. his 3bet range has to be something like AK, JJ+. AQs plays pretty much like A2s with stacks this deep (60ish BB unless i can't do math).
Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM

What really bugs me about giving up on this hand once we call preflop is villian's flop check-behind. That's pretty goofy if he has AA or QQ. After the min-reraise preflop, the villian can't really expect to get any more action unless hero hits something. This IS a Step 6.

I don't think leading anywhere postflop accomplishes much. AQ is basically a bluff-catcher.