Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Even considering Vaginal Penetration
First time you enter 80 70.80%
First time you thrust 11 9.73%
First time you go to town 22 19.47%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Default The killing of Doc Brown....murder or self defense?

Here are the pertinant facts.

Doc Brown is a mad scientist who creates a machine that allows him to travel back in time.

On Dec 18th 1955 your parents were driving to a Christmas Party in the next town. Your parents car ran out of gas on a very lonely road during a freakishly strong snow storm. Bored and horny, your parents had sex and you were conceived in the back of a 1951 Studebaker. Were it not for this exact set of circumstances you would not have come into existence.

Doc Brown knows the circumstances of your conception.

Doc Brown confesses too you that he hates you as much as any man could hate anyone. He also tells you he has plotted the perfect plan to do you in. You ask him for the details of the plan. He is so confident of his plan he tells you that he intends to go back in time to Dec 18th 1955 and put 5 gallons of gas into the gas tank of your parents 1951 Studebaker. In all the years you have known Doc Brown, you have never seen or heard of him lieing to anyone. You are 100% certain he has the means, the motive, and the opportunity to end your existence.

The only way to prevent Doc Brown from ending your existence in the manner he has described is to kill him.

Would you kill Doc Brown? If your were on a jury deciding the case of someone who killed Doc Brown would you decide the killer was not guilty by reason of self defense?

Stu
Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: The killing of Doc Brown....murder or self defense?

It's a different timeline FTW.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a different timeline FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. OP assumes there is only one time line. Star Trek has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that this is simply not true. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM

wait are we using terminator rules or back to the future rules?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:44 PM

Hi btwmagnetw

The only rules we are using are the ones specified in the OP. Here's the answer to your question.

[ QUOTE ]
The only way to prevent Doc Brown from ending your existence in the manner he has described is to kill him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not surprised that even after spelling that out in the OP a bunch of sphomoric answers would come.

Stu
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi btwmagnetw

The only rules we are using are the ones specified in the OP. Here's the answer to your question.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not surprised that even after spelling that out in the OP a bunch of sphomoric answers would come.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]south park reference, but you're probably too good for that show, since you appear to be a pretentious douche.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi btwmagnetw

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

You propose an evil villain so dead set on killing you that he invents time travel to do you in and wonder why people give you the business?

Here are a few reasons:
1. Why the hell didn't the guy just shoot you? I mean really, just pull the trigger instead of changing physics as we know it.
2. If the only way to stop the villain from killing you is by killing him what exactly is the question then?
3. Bacon. Mmmm, bacon.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You propose an evil villain so dead set on killing you that he invents time travel to do you in and wonder why people give you the business?

[/ QUOTE ]

I posed the question because I wanted to gain some insight into how others veiwed "potential people". For instance, if you would choose to aquit a person who "killed Doc Brown in self defense". Would you also choose to aquit someone who traveled from the future to the present in order to kill an abortion doctor in "self defense"?

The entire story is a thought experiment. Thought experiments are allowed to have ridiculous conditions inorder to expidite a thought process. BTW there isn't anything in my post that says Doc Brown specifically created time travel to do someone in. I honestly don't know why Doc Brown invented the time machine. Perhaps its in that movie Back to the Future. If knowing the reason is that important to you go rent the movie, watch it, and report back to us why he invented a time machine. I doubt anyone else is really interested though. Its not really important to the thought experiment.

Stu
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you also choose to aquit someone who traveled from the future to the present in order to kill an abortion doctor in "self defense"?

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes absolutely no sense, because if the abortion doctor had succeeded in aborting you how are u travelling from the future to prevent your abortion.. the abortion doc must have failed in his attempt to abort you, so there is no self defense, only a premeditated revenge murder for his failed attempt to abort you those many years ago...