Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Bans

[ QUOTE ]
what am i being left out on here?

what underlying issues? are you two having an affair?

[/ QUOTE ]

mat,

depends on how you define the word 'are'
Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 AM

Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 AM

Ryan, fwiw Ill probably assume that the lack of comment on wookies post about the 'Less Hugs, More Bans' gimmick bans in this thread basically means that you dont have a problem with fun non-serious bans as long as they are kept within the forum and the users themselves are fine with them. So even though the joke has largely run its course Ill be happy to stop them asap if asked and Ill probably just assume that these funbans were the trigger for this thread unless I hear otherwise.

Ozi

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I need to comment here for Ryan's sake, largely because I have been more than filling my ban quota lately and may be responsible for this thread more than I'd like to be. Over in Micro, we've been running a ban gimmick for the last couple weeks. It came about because of the appearance of a troll, albeit a funny one, and then a great poster telling him "Less hugs, more bans." I picked that for the title of our NC thread and joked about being stressed out (true) and having an itch ban finger. People made a game out of it, and the gimmick was born. Aussie and I have been frivolously banning people for minutes or hours tops, not for punitive or correctional reasons, but for fun and sport. It's the forum's best posters that are getting micro-banned, not people who are actually misbehaving. For the most part, the response has been fun and positive, generally good for a cheap laugh. The gimmick is nearing the point when it stops being funny and starts being passe, but if you want me to stop this immediately rather than letting it die a natural death, I can arrange it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
means that you dont have a problem with fun non-serious bans as long as they are kept within the forum and the users themselves are fine with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, and those bans didn't inspire this thread. Should have replied to wookie about that.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With over 123,000 registered users

[/ QUOTE ]

where are you getting this number?

[/ QUOTE ]

i looked at the "welcome our newest member" thing, or whatever, and looked at what his member number was. if i was really motivated i could tell you the total number of unbanned accounts, the total number of posters who have posted in the last week (eh, i think i could tell you this one), or the total number of unique IPs used, or a variety of other things like that.

but for that number up there, i just went old school.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Ryan,

Can you give us some examples of bans you think aren't "right".

I think I see where you're going, but I'd like to know more before trying to respond.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 PM

here's an example of a ban that is just effing awful

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

reason for ban: "poker metaphors in bbv4l"

bans like these are completely ridiculous. if kyle was making these sorts of bans on a regular basis it's just better that he's gone.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 PM

nation, the guy had 1 post and it ws ony a 1 day ban. iam not a kyleb supp. but i thuh that ban was fine
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 PM

oh cmon nick. bans are supposed to be for people who break the rules of 2p2 or who are intentionally tarding up the forums. he made one post in a long thread, it's not like he started a new thread relating something to women in poker metaphors.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 PM

and even then if it was clear he was a troll continually starting crappy new thread topics would it be acceptable to ban him.