Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: What is your motivation to make more money?

No one wants a jet / $50 mil house / sports team(cheap one, not the Yankees)? Check out sothebysrealty.com and locations like Bridgehampton / Cote d'Azur / Lake Tahoe / Greenwich CT. Before I saw that website, I also wanted a $2mil house.

Personally, I have no monetary goals, but since I was very young the only real goal was of lifetime independence(not ever having to work for anyone else). Simply poker's existence (and it will always exist) has taken care of that for life, and I am incredibly thankful. Meanwhile, I spend ~10 hrs per day on accumulating knowledge in economics / finance / trading / investing(only because its the only thing more fun than poker), and when I reach some arbitrary knowledge threshold(maybe in 5 years), I'll start a hedge fund (with only personal funds) - I don't care if ~500k AUM is laughable.

If performance is good, I'm sure small sums ( a few mil.) won't be too hard to find from outside investors. If performance not good, stop loss will be very tight, and I'll take another self-administered course of "finance knowledge" for a year or two, and try again.

I plan on repeating this process until I die / become mentally incapacitated, and will be extremely happy even if I am 77 living in a 1br condo with less than 1mil. networth, while starting businesses / hedge funds and playing poker to fund them. My only real goal would have been achieved regardless.

Also, if someone offered me USD 10 billion right now with the stipulation of a lifetime ban from any sort of activity involving poker / business / finance / capital markets, I would reject it. Anyone else as crazy as me?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM

To cover health care costs that I may incur in the future.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:21 PM

I want to make enough money so my money makes me money ...

I also had the by-30 millionaire dream ... I'm 28 now and I'm not out of the debt hole ... I still work for the same company, and I really like my job ... I make a good amount of money and some day the stock options will become liquid ... at that point the money will be less than I thought it would be when I was dreaming at 21, but it will still be enough to take me to the next level of making money

If you're about to turn 23, I would work very hard at laying out a foundation / roadmap to reach your goals at 30 ... otherwise you'll always be dreaming ... it's very important that you realize now what it's going to take to get to your goal at 30 ... you may think it's getting so good at poker that you're beating 25/50 on up for a decent clip ... you may think it's founding the next web 2.0 company and selling it 18 months later ... whatever it is, it's your dream ... just make sure you know what it's going to take to capitalize should you be on the horizon of reaching your dream

Also, take it from me that it's ok if goals / dreams change ... if you're still playing poker at 25 and nowhere near halfway to your goal, re-evaluate ... you haven't failed ... life isn't over if you haven't "made it" at 30 ... truth is you should always be educating yourself so you can take advantage of opportunities that come along during your quest ... some day you might find yourself with 10x your goal and it could have come from something completely unrelated to your original plan ...

Health is important ... education is important ... sanity is important ... fun is important ... friends & family is important ... lots and lots of dreams & goals is important ...

It's hard to achieve them all, but it's quite an accomplishment to achieve some of them
Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if someone offered me USD 10 billion right now with the stipulation of a lifetime ban from any sort of activity involving poker / business / finance / capital markets, I would reject it. Anyone else as crazy as me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM

I would take this deal for 20 mil.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM

My goal is to have $10M liquid net worth by age 45.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 PM

More $$$ - Financial Independence = Freedom
Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Ill be pretty dissapointed if I dont have 10 million when Im 30.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill be pretty dissapointed if I dont have 10 million when Im 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without knowing anything about your financial situation, you are probably going to be pretty dissapointed when you are 30.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 AM

Ego. Self-worth measured in things that are bought with money.

That's my motivation.