Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 07:52 AM

Default Re: For those that don\'t believe in evolution - why do men have nipple

[ QUOTE ]

Tails. Appendixes, though... I'm sure I could come up with a few pseudoreasons. Gizzards?

[/ QUOTE ]

What, God wanted us to be available as an ingredient for Turkey stuffing? I'm reminded of a certain Twilight Zone episode...
Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 AM

Given that several cultures still practice cannibalism, who knows.

There's junk RNA threads in our genetic code. Maybe the appendix had an use when h. sap was eating grasses and similar roughage when they couldn't catch their prey. So it's a junk body part.

I don't know, maybe the organ's redundant now, but perhaps it wasn't always.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:42 AM

Default Re: For those that don\'t believe in evolution - why do men have nipples?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think he's just pointing out that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a creationist standpoint that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

[/ QUOTE ]

ontogeny does not recapitulate phylogeny...

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you mean, I guess. But yeah, it basically does. I have pharyngeal arches and no gills, but no need to be a nit.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 AM

Those are evolutionary explanations, though. If humans were created by God as they are now, the explanation doesn't fly.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those are evolutionary explanations, though. If humans were created by God as they are now, the explanation doesn't fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Read not too long ago that men were capable of producing breast milk. Found that strange. Involves a lot of massaging apparently, and proximity to a baby. I'm sure I don't know what that's about either.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Read not too long ago that men were capable of producing breast milk. Found that strange. Involves a lot of massaging apparently, and proximity to a baby. I'm sure I don't know what that's about either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh...I didnt think men have lactiferous ducts/glands. Maybe they do, and probably gynecomastic guys do. I'd bet that a normal, non-gynecomastic guy could not be induced to give milk, and certainly not by just massaging and baby-crying. I will look into this, you've piqued my interest.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh...I didnt think men have lactiferous ducts/glands. Maybe they do, and probably gynecomastic guys do. I'd bet that a normal, non-gynecomastic guy could not be induced to give milk, and certainly not by just massaging and baby-crying. I will look into this, you've piqued my interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Artefact of my memory is that I retain a lot of facts, just not in depth. Do remember that it is a pretty rare occurence, but it is possible for some men to develop the capability to do so.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I was basically right. Apparently its not very rare for pubescent boys to give some milky discharge, but then again, its also not very rare for pubescent boys to be gynecomastic and I think these are the cases they are talking about. Wiki states that there is at least one documented case of a man suckling a child.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 PM

"I had-- I had no idea you could milk a cat.
Oh, yeah, you can milk anything with nipples.
I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?"

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]