Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Do Christians, Muslims and Jews all believe in the same god?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Please explain the obvious

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no god?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But it's obviously more than a technicality (well if it's just a technicality, and irrelevant because God doesn't exist, well don't talk about it), it is a matter of faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

LISTEN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for being the nanny of the forum, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing things you dont happen to believe in. I wouldn't discuss them if they weren't a major influence in my day-to-day life, but since they are, I'll continue to discuss them as I please.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:55 PM

I am really curious what NotReady, Godboy or BluffThis have to say about this.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for being the nanny of the forum, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing things you dont happen to believe in. I wouldn't discuss them if they weren't a major influence in my day-to-day life, but since they are, I'll continue to discuss them as I please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is something wrong with that. Frankly, who cares what an atheist thinks about whether the gods of Christendom, Mohommedism, etc. are the same? Is the God that atheists don't believe in the same as the one in which theists do believe? Now that's a good question. But really, if you say you don't believe that God EXISTS, how could you have anything to say about this?

It appears that the OP agrees with me, or at least, would rather hear from theists.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is something wrong with that. Frankly, who cares what an atheist thinks about whether the gods of Christendom, Mohommedism, etc. are the same? Is the God that atheists don't believe in the same as the one in which theists do believe? Now that's a good question. But really, if you say you don't believe that God EXISTS, how could you have anything to say about this?

It appears that the OP agrees with me, or at least, would rather hear from theists.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Frankly, who cares what anyone who looks at a problem in a different way than I do and who has a different opinion on the subject than I do thinks. I get to the best answers when I only allow people to speak on the issue that I know beforehand already will come to the same conclusions as I do."
Old 10-11-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But really, if you say you don't believe that God EXISTS, how could you have anything to say about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I wasn't trying to be flippant or sarcastic in my answer. The OP was wondering if different religions could in fact be worshiping the same god (just under different names) given that their beliefs often seem to be in direct opposition with each other. My point was that, if god doesn't exist at all, then that solves the problem. It seems like one possible solution, at least, whether you consider it likely or not.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's a matter that is in no way beyond that of an atheist...this is relly just and issue of usage of words anyway

should you not be allowed to respond to this just because you aren't a christian, jew, and muslim at the same time?? You aren't a muslim..who are you to comment on Allah, whom you don't even think exists?

OP, people only say that they are the same god because of the fact that they all descend from the same belief..but their opinions on what this god particularly believes differs..or actually is true concerning this god (ie.jesus) differs..

most monotheistic religions in essence pray to the same god..since each has the condition that theirs is the only true god...so there can only be one (if any is correct at all)..they just differ on the specific of such a god..(ie what he demands of humans, if/where/when/to whome etc he reveiled himself.

"the same god" is a stretch...if two people are christians..one believes that the bible and god condemns homosexuality and the other believes that the bible and god does not condemn homosexuality...do they believe in the same god?

the extent of these differing ideas of what god is is the only issue here...the god in question cannot be separated from the details of its existence..which is what saying that these gods are "the same god" does..the way in which the beliefs in these gods comes about is inconsequential IMO
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it fair to address this historically? Whether you believe in a God or not... all three faiths have a history of how they were developed and what their influences were.

The Christian Faith is a derivation of the Jewish Faith. They share the Old Testament. Their primary difference is in whether or not the Messiah has come. But they both share the same God... that is the God of the OT.

I'm not as familiar with the Muslim Faith, but I vaguely remember that they also share all or part of the OT in their body of religious scripture. (I'm not betting money on it but it sounds right)

So, one could argue that they are all the same God (whether or not you believe it is a real or mythic figure)
Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM

I get the opinion I'm dealing with a bunch of horribly misinformed 19-year olds. You win. God is an atheist, or something.

AS out...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get the opinion I'm dealing with a bunch of horribly misinformed 19-year olds. You win. God is an atheist, or something.

AS out...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little snooty. And I don't think they're all 19 or horribly misinformed. (I wish I was only 19! Hell, I wish I was only 30)
Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

AS out...

[/ QUOTE ]

athenian..you are the only one who made some ridiculous comment...there is absolutely no reason why atheists shouldn't respond to this thread...

you seem to be the new troll of SMP

how about responding to someone's points on the subject...

and the questions in my earlier post in the thread were not rhetorical...please explain to me why you should be able to comment on Islam, but an athiest cannot comment on this subject.