Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 AM

Default Re: What possible future event will you regret not being alive to witn

The man=god posts aren't that far off.

Our next step in evolution will come when we "figure out how the brain works" on a level that will allow us to manipulate it chemically, mechanically etc to the point that our species will no longer be H. sapiens sapiens, but something else...

I don't think that will happen in my lifetime, but it will happen soon.

Contact would of course be awesome-- this is the only event I can imagine that would cause us to restart our calenders again from year 1.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Re: What possible future event will you regret not being alive to witness?

why would anyone want to disrupt the peace that comes from having the room and all the space outside the room empty?.....................b
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 PM

Second answer: The fall of the American federal government.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Re: What possible future event will you regret not being alive to witness?

Nuclear winter.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first journey to Alpha Centauri, it's the nearest solar system (trinary system), 4 light years away, possible Earth-like planets and life.

[/ QUOTE ]

from my extremely limited understanding of astrobiology, im pretty sure finding an earth-like planet in a multiple star system is highly unlikely.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:35 AM

I've always been curious about when and if a massive type virus/plague might be unleashed.

I'd like to be around if they ever pull off building that gigantic telescope that will be like 10-20 as strong as the hubble.

Landing on another planet besides Mars...maybe sending a device into frozen seas over around Urqanus etc.

The day oil is no longer used as a means of energy.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For everyone who is trying to answer this question, please think of what someone from 1920 would do if they saw, oh, I don't know, THE INTERNET in action.

How the [censored] would you predict that to come about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that the idea of computers as we know them today was pretty far-fetched in 1920, it would be difficult indeed. But, the idea of a worldwide communication system was not far-fetched then, and in fact had existed since the 1840s, it was called the telegraph. Someone even wrote a book about it, comparing the two.

The Victorian Internet

So clearly, there was no way to envision the Internet as it exists today, but that's not to say you can't broadly come up with some concept of future development without knowing exactly how it would be implemented.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the next time the Rangers win the Stanley Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it a walk on part in the wall? Don't know but thats what I always assumed. I also agree who gives a damn about going to mars untill we find cures for all diseases. If we have all diseases cured, won't we need somewehre to put all these people that all of a sudden aren't dying like they used to.

Anyways I can't believe no one has said time travel, ya thats the answer, time travel.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:51 AM

when global warming ends up raising the sea levels so much that the original WTC site ends up flooded - that'll be something I wish I could have seen.

RB
Old 06-03-2006, 01:09 AM

Whether it will happen or not I don't know, I'm no Nostradamus:

A time when human beings are no longer motivated to produce primarily by some combination of greed and fear.

A time in which people are no longer dispensed with if they can no longer meet market demand. (of course, this promotes 'efficiency' but corrupts humanity).

Where business no longer turns humans into commodities and treats them as such.