Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 11:35 PM

Default hi-lo rule clarification

We're playing hi-lo $5/$10, with a 5 bet cap. On 5th street i've got 3 queens, 2 in the hole, and the other two guys are showing low. one guy keeps playing back at me, and the other just calls.I figure I've got half the pot locked down, so I keep re-raising; let them fight over the low.

I fill up on sixth street, and now the caller shows a three-flush. We cap again, and cap again on the river.

Turns out the other two guys make the same exact 7. I expect half the pot, but one of the guys says that since we all won, we split the pot 3 ways. I protest, and he says "you wanna settle this outside?"

He's a bad ass, I'm not much of a fighter, so there's nothing I can do.

So, I need help with 2 issues.

1) is there some hi-lo rule book that I can turn to to prove my case.

2) even if I prove my case, they might say that once the pot is split the money is theirs, and its too late to ask for it back. What's my come back?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: hi-lo rule clarification

[ QUOTE ]
We're playing hi-lo $5/$10, with a 5 bet cap. On 5th street i've got 3 queens, 2 in the hole, and the other two guys are showing low. one guy keeps playing back at me, and the other just calls.I figure I've got half the pot locked down, so I keep re-raising; let them fight over the low.

I fill up on sixth street, and now the caller shows a three-flush. We cap again, and cap again on the river.

Turns out the other two guys make the same exact 7. I expect half the pot, but one of the guys says that since we all won, we split the pot 3 ways. I protest, and he says "you wanna settle this outside?"

2) even if I prove my case, they might say that once the pot is split the money is theirs, and its too late to ask for it back. What's my come back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball bat.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:08 AM

A rule book? Please. They stole your money, and they know they stole your money. No other reason to "take it outside".

Since no one else spoke up, I'd find somewhere else to play. Be happy that you learned your lesson so cheaply.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:13 AM

Personally, I wouldn't play there again. If there is a chance that I'm going to get my ass kicked for claiming what is rightfully mine, I'll find someplace else to play.

I imagine that this is covered in Robert's Rules, which are linked in the FAQ.

You are, of course, correct. You get the high half of the pot and the other two guys split the low half of the pot. If you guys take up Omaha/8, make sure you get this straight, because it comes up a lot in that game.

You might watch a loose O/8 game online and get a screen grab of an appropriate scenario. Don't know if that would be enough to convince them.

Or you could just tell 'em Andy B said so. That should carry a lot of weight. I haven't been in a fist fight in over twenty years, though, so I'm not apt to be of any use on that front.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:20 AM

T. J. Cloutier has a story about his old Texas days when he played in a game which included both a drunk and a gangster among its regulars. The drunk, even sotted, played better than the gangster and busted him. The gangster pulled a gun and took his money back plus vigorish, finally agreeing to give the drunk enough for a cab. The drunk closed by saying, "I hope you're not going to let this little incident keep you away from our game in future."

But unless the game's good enough that you can tolerate the occasional robbery, I agree with the other answers.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:22 AM

In 2 years from now, do something really TERRIBLE to these people.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) even if I prove my case, they might say that once the pot is split the money is theirs, and its too late to ask for it back. What's my come back

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the cops and report an illegal gambling game, when they play, and the location.. Hopefully the Badass fighter is able to fight off Bubba when he gets to jail...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 AM

6 months from now---random flat tire----sand in engine block---sugar in gas tank

Won't get your money back, but might get you 'even'