Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 AM

Default TPTK big stack v big stack

$20 one r one add-on on stars, around 70 left, i think 45 paid, both me and villian are top 5. Me, villian and one other at the table are on around 30k, he covers me by around 300 chips. Other stacks on our table are much lower.

Reads: villian seems decent, mixing up his play. Has been attacking short stacks but playing tighter / passive against me and the other big stack.

e.g's of this are - limping in late pos with T9o, calling a 3.5x raise from the short SB and raising a weak bet on a K high flop and putting the guy all in on the turn (SB had KK). limping behind 3 limpers (he was on around 42k - me 13k) with KQo calling my 4x BB bet from the BB (AA) and putting me all in after a half pot c-bet on a K high flop.
a short time ago i raised in early pos, other big stack called and he flat called on the button with QQ. again the flop came K high and he shut down, checking the flop and flat calling the other guys timid turn and river bets (other stack had ATs and QQ held up).

Table has been quiet/weak, most raises go unchallenged by the smaller stacks. In the hand I raise in early/mid position, standard raise, with AK. Short stack goes all in (not very worried about him pretty sure I am ahead) and villian in BB flat calls. I flat call rather than raise pre flop as I have position, and fully expect villian to check to me on the flop, so if I miss I miss for cheap, and if I connect with the flop I might suck in a worse hand, expecting him to check / call with worse.

So anyway, HH is as follows:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG (t17735)
Hero (t27630)
MP2 (t7512)
CO (t3860)
Button (t34152)
SB (t16411)
BB (t27980)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
1 fold, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1500</font>, 1 fold, CO raises to t3810, 2 folds, BB calls t3210, <font color="red">Hero calls t2310.</font>

Flop: (t11080) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 players) BB bets t12600, <font color="red">Hero?</font>

WTF at his flop bet, what's his range here? Other guy is all in so is a zero side pot. I 100% expected to be checked to no matter what flopped so was pretty thrown. Is folding here gross?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: TPTK big stack v big stack

I'd raise him out of the hand pf I think, or at least build a sidepot with position. I think you've got to felt that facing a fishy overbet and with two very obvious draws on the board.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 AM

PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH
Old 05-10-2007, 02:14 PM

bump
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM

agreed, reraise PF and try to squeeze him out, i would think if he had a better hand then you he would reraise PF to try to squeeze you out. I think i push as well, if hes drawing he'll call but i'm not sure what his range here is that he could be ahead with, 55 or K10 i guess, i would think he would have reraised with KK or 1010.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:42 PM

I raise preflop here. Not sure what to do postflop, certainly calling is bad.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:17 PM

i hate getting in this position personally, top pair top kicker on a drawy board. if you said villain was decent then i dont think he is betting a draw here. I would expect to see either another AK or 1010. I don't think he is re raising 1010 preflop here. smooth call preflop of a raise and reraise would worry me a little bit

you said he has been playing pretty passively around you...i dont think he would get involved with another big stack unless he had the goods.

I hate it, but i fold. you are going to see his hand anyway and if he is a smart player...he knows this.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Push. OK, this guy is a [censored] retarted; he's not "mixing it up," he's just really confused about hand values and is on a heater. That being said, KQ, KJ, flush with an over make up enough of his range to make a bet, ESPECIALLY after you played AK so weakly preflop (push, please). So yeah, AI on this flop, and if you see KJ, you're great, and if you see a set of 5s, well, swallow hard.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPECIALLY after you played AK so weakly preflop (push, please).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you push all in for 26,000 or so extra pre flop? Or re-raise to say 8,000?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Your mistake was not raising preflop, i would make an isolation play. You should of pushed AI and you would of been HU with the small stack.

Push this flop, a reraise is a no-go because you will be pot committed anyways.

There is a chance villain might have AA and flat called preflop to trap, saw two flush cards (plus a gutshot broadway draw) and that might of scared him into making a big bet.