Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 PM

Default 50NL: bad turn after flopping a set

No really solid reads that I remember, I was playing without a hud. This was the most obscenely loose weak table I've ever sat at, 52% players to flop and a $15 avg pot... I just couldn't stop myself from sitting!

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $51.05
SB: $59.50
Hero (BB): $109.05
UTG: $58.40
CO: $58.25

Pre-Flop: 4h 4d dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG calls $0.50, 2 folds, SB raises to $2.50, Hero calls $2, UTG calls $2

Flop: ($7.50) 6d 4s 2h (3 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets $1.50, SB calls $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Turn: ($12) 5s (3 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $5, UTG raises to $20, SB folds, Hero ???

I thought this was a pretty straight forward shove, but my buddy next to me wasn't so sure. Anyway, long story short I'm breakeven over the last 8k hands and I'm getting a little shaky confidence wise. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: 50NL: bad turn after flopping a set

ttt

anyone?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:07 PM

I would have c/r the flop, not only to protect my hand, but to get payed.

Playing it like you did I would probably have showed, I don't see him having a 3 when he was the orignal raiser. And if he has an overpair he'll probably call you.
If he would do something like this with AK, I might just call, and check on the river hoping he would fire a last bet.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 PM

Raise on the flop to at least 10$.

As played I kinda don't know, call and hope you fill up. But he could also have OP so you don't really need to fill.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 PM

After the SB checks the flop you might as well bet. Get some money in the pot. Since you checked and UTG obliged and made a (weak) bet, go ahead and raise. You're not getting any money in the pot playing all trappy.

As played, I probably stack off here just because I never fold sets. Though, it looks like your behind. You bet out representing a straight and villain raised anyway. The problem is your turn bet is so weak he might be raising it with a lot of hands.

You played the hand all tricky to get action. Now you got it and you want to fold? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 PM

bet flop after villain in sb checks, c/r that weak bet -- and what 3 can villain have that would make that turn a bad card?????

Table, as described, makes this a flop bet as seeing it checked around is just plain burning money. c/r if you know from observation that one of others is betting. Never flat call and bet turn, even to the donkey-small bet.

If you had c/r or bet the flop, there's almost no way villain could have a 3 legitimately.

You slow played, even to the extent that your turn bet was so weak... you get whatever you deserve here and go broke by pushing. If he sucked out, fine, if not, your weak lead induced a raise and you're good to go.

You played this hand exactly like your villains' would've, the ones you're so eager to take the easy money from!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 AM

I agree this line was too trappy, but to be honest I was looking for a 3 way all in given the action I'd seen at the table. I totally agree with the c/r on the flop.

Just to put things into perspective of what I was up against I'm going to post the result... that and it was a pretty sick beat, at least worth a chuckle in retrospect.

Turn: ($12) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $20</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $105.05 and is All-In</font>, UTG calls $34.40 and is All-In

River: ($120.80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $120.80 Pot ($2 Rake)
Hero showed 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Fours) and LOST (-$58.40 NET)
UTG showed K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a flush, King high) and WON $118.80 (+$60.40 NET)

lol oh well.