Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Why is Mr Gatorade the most annoying person ever

As usual Mike is half retarded and half exactly right. Stalking people is stupid, wanting them to reload is not. I don't understand what the mystery is about not wanting to play people with like 2-5 bets, it's pretty obvious that if they get it in on the flop or turn then the advantage one has on big bet streets is nullified. It's so simple and obvious that I feel as if I must be getting leveled because I don't think I should have to point it out.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As usual Mike is half retarded and half exactly right. Stalking people is stupid, wanting them to reload is not. I don't understand what the mystery is about not wanting to play people with like 2-5 bets, it's pretty obvious that if they get it in on the flop or turn then the advantage one has on big bet streets is nullified. It's so simple and obvious that I feel as if I must be getting leveled because I don't think I should have to point it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was sorta my thinking too...but it seems were a minority
Old 10-24-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im not arguing that you are giving up an edge, im arguing that it is WRONG in a moral sense or etiquette wise
Old 10-24-2007, 01:36 AM

Yes, a 5BB stack will pretty much negate any advantage you have.

But if you play them, and they double up, you now have put yourself in a +ev situation against a larger stack that you wouldn't have if you quit.

So your expectation against the short stack isn't just -rake, it also includes future hands with larger edges if they double up.

If they are going to run if they hit, or if you can immediately find an equally juicy opponent, then you should leave. Otherwise, it's worth it to play against a poor 5BB stack.

I recently came to this conclusion. I used to demand reload when an opponent dropped below 8BB.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

he quits people after taking most of their money if they get below 5 bbs and if they cant reload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who DOESNT do this is [censored] stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering how about 70% of the people i play HUHU sit with 10bbs and gladly leave when they lose them to me, i'm gonna side with ST here.

It used to tilt me too when they would win like 15 bbs back after i 4-bet him AIPF with my K3 vs. his 38 and he takes it down but then i realized that i should just stop tilting because this guy terrible and i'm getting these dollars.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM

fwiw I am a huge ethics nit in poker and while I agree that it's a little douchey to just sit out and say "reload" I do not think it's unethical at all. Either player can quit any time they want, any player can ask for the other player to accept certain conditions or the match is over.

When I play HU I play as long as they have money in front of them and I can remember far too many times when someone randomly turns like 1-3BB into 100BB while I can't remember too many times that their 1-3BB turned into -100BB so I understand not wanting to play these people. I sometimes wish I would sit out and tell them to reload.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so someone explain to me how having 5bbs is an advantage?
dont effective stacks make their no advantage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is right, but say you look at it this way. 55% of the time you're going to win. Those times you win an average of 5BB. Say the other 45%, you're average loss is 7BB though. Over all, in this case, you would lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you lose 7 BB on average? If you're referring to the average amount lost over the duration of the session, then it will be higher. But you're going to win the 5 BB way way more than 55% of the time in that case.

Simple model:
You win his 5 BB right off the bat 52% of the time and he doubles up right away 48% of the time. (You have a small edge b/c you know how to play a short stack better than him.) Those times he has a 10 BB stack, you're going to bust him anyway about 54% of the time (assuming for simplicity that the game is a freezeout). (You have a larger edge with the larger stack.)

The end result is you're going to win those 5 BBs most of the time and every once you're going to run horrible and lose dozens of BBs. In the end, you still show a profit, but psychologically you will feel like you are losing because the big losses will be weighted in your mind much higher than the accumulation of all the small wins.

If you're playing a low limit where the rake is relatively high and the other play happens to be half decent at playing a short stack, then you won't have an edge. But otherwise, it's rubbish to suggest that playing a short stack cannot be +EV.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw I am a huge ethics nit in poker and while I agree that it's a little douchey to just sit out and say "reload" I do not think it's unethical at all. Either player can quit any time they want, any player can ask for the other player to accept certain conditions or the match is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but by the same logic shouldn't Mr. Crazy Mike not site at every one of OP's tables and say "i want 50/100".

OP next time just sit with 5bbs at all the tables. Mr. Powerade's only option will be to type "touche" and headasplode.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but by the same logic shouldn't Mr. Crazy Mike not site at every one of OP's tables and say "i want 50/100".

OP next time just sit with 5bbs at all the tables. Mr. Powerade's only option will be to type "touche" and
headasplode.

[/ QUOTE ]

wp
Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so someone explain to me how having 5bbs is an advantage?
dont effective stacks make their no advantage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is right, but say you look at it this way. 55% of the time you're going to win. Those times you win an average of 5BB. Say the other 45%, you're average loss is 7BB though. Over all, in this case, you would lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you lose 7 BB on average? If you're referring to the average amount lost over the duration of the session, then it will be higher. But you're going to win the 5 BB way way more than 55% of the time in that case.

Simple model:
You win his 5 BB right off the bat 52% of the time and he doubles up right away 48% of the time. (You have a small edge b/c you know how to play a short stack better than him.) Those times he has a 10 BB stack, you're going to bust him anyway about 54% of the time (assuming for simplicity that the game is a freezeout). (You have a larger edge with the larger stack.)

The end result is you're going to win those 5 BBs most of the time and every once you're going to run horrible and lose dozens of BBs. In the end, you still show a profit, but psychologically you will feel like you are losing because the big losses will be weighted in your mind much higher than the accumulation of all the small wins.

If you're playing a low limit where the rake is relatively high and the other play happens to be half decent at playing a short stack, then you won't have an edge. But otherwise, it's rubbish to suggest that playing a short stack cannot be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that your average loss would be 7BB i.e. given that you lose, the average loss is 7BB. It was just an example of how could happen not a reflection of what I think is reality. Seems like your probably right. Like you win 5BB 80% and lose an average of 17BB or something 20%. Still though it's like writing options or insurance. You either win a little or get killed.