Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Art Collecting/Investing

sorry to derail this a bit but; any tips on painting your first piece of modern (abstract)art?

I'd like to paint something like this, and then hang it in my house.

costs, materials, and website resources would be appreciated.

the painting is listed on http://buymodernart.com/index.php BTW. Also, to those fo you trying to sell your work; the internet is your best friend in terms of value for your money.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend is a retailer for Vladimir Kush, another amazingly talented psychedelic/surrealist. He's hooked me up with several prints by him that have appreciated a ton. I got a few prints that were about to sellout (he doesn't do multiple runs) for anywhere from 750-1300, and I've seen them selling on ebay for about 15k each. That was just luck and happening to know someone. He basically dropped those in my lap. Plus I really love the guys work, so I'm real pleased about that whole situation. I ended up commissioning an original by him, pen and ink (I can't really touch his oil prices), but the way it went down was pretty cool. I sent him a photo of my daughters and said if these inspire you in any way, have at it and I'll take whatever you do. He ended doing an incredible drawing of an Amarylis with 2 girls kind of inside the roots of the plant--just a sick piece. If you check out his stuff on his site you can't help but see how talented he is. His line work with the pen is unreal. I paid like 5k for that and when i went down to Maui to meet him last fall his gallery manager said I could probably get like 20k for it if I wanted to sell. No way that's happening though, as it's for my kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second the Kush recommendation, my fiance and I picked up a couple of pieces and love them. The giclee style of print really pops off the wall, and you need to see these in person to appreciate them(as mentioned, he has a gallery in Vegas, so that shouldn't be a problem).

How long ago did you commission the ink? I'd love to do something like this, but assume it'd be 20k+ at this point.

2 additional random suggestions:

1.) I really like some of the Dr. Seuss prints (plethora of fishes, etc.). They should be a reasonably decent investment due to limited print runs and general widespread popularity, but mostly they are just a lot of fun. Check out www.drseussart.com

2.) I am loving Jesse LeDoux. He has done some CD covers for the Shins, etc. and has a really cool cartoony style. Check out his originals from the current show(I don't really like the other guy):

http://www.grny.net/artshow.php?catid=R026

He draws cool little monsters that are half "Where the WIld Things Are", and half "Little Miss/Mr." books. Again, not very serious pieces, but a lot of fun.

Jesse
Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry to derail this a bit but; any tips on painting your first piece of modern (abstract)art?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spend years studying color and refining your technique? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Love the Dr.Seuss stuff too. I have "Happy Grasshopper on a Mushroom."

I commissioned that about 2 years ago. Honestly, I should say my gf did, with the help of my friend that knows/works with him.