Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: at a loss

I'm doing a PhD in Economics and have been thinking about this quite a bit. Not really for my own thesis, but still. If you try to do something in game theory, you quickly have to chose between realism and tractability. If you want to run regressions like TWP suggests, you need a boatload of data to be able to conclude with any reasonable certainty. I guess it's feasible if you manage to get a lot of 2+2-ers interested in your project and you guarantee anonymity etc. All the best of luck, though.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about a paper on the economics of regulating poker in the US. We all know that poker is a huge market and the upswing in owning a site is huge. What kind of effects would this have to a city that hosted a site.

Or maybe a paper on the cost of outlawing poker verse the rewards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this idea. You could compare and contrast to other things that are/are not outlawed, regulated, etc. and examine the economic impacts to various stakeholders (the city, the government, the participants, the owners, etc.) Could be very interesting and doesn't require that much data.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought liberal arts schools only taught art.
Now im really confused as to what the expression means.
Also I would write about the failure of military keynesianism.

[/ QUOTE ]

You thought 'Liberal Arts' was an art degree? You are a very ignorant man sir. Seek ye knowledge before you are lost.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 PM

I think the perception among many highly educated, logical people is that poker is all luck. Some may be open-minded, but it's not worth risking a grade or future employment on this. I wouldn't do any type of paper on anything gambling related. Stick with things more kosher.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Von Neumann, Nash, Ferguson et al...A Short History of Game Theory
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 PM

Why not something about the poker economy in general? It's top down structure, the flow of money? Too simple maybe?

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be much more interesting to run something like player demographic data against win-rate, hands played, or something else. Like, are college kids the best? Do they play the most? High school kids? How much does win rate vary with amount of sleep in the week? The night before? Etc. But there are no data on these things...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think this is economic based, but it would be really interesting to see.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Seems like a lot of potential to take this thesis many different ways from which to analyze economic impacts, I am just not sure how one would go about measuring regulated entities (i.e. online poker/gambling) with respect to the stakeholders you mentioned (gov't, consumers, citizens). I think it would be hard to collect data, or assign variables for that matter, that can have provable correlation to the subject at hand (regulated internet gambling).
Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not something about the poker economy in general? It's top down structure, the flow of money? Too simple maybe?

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be much more interesting to run something like player demographic data against win-rate, hands played, or something else. Like, are college kids the best? Do they play the most? High school kids? How much does win rate vary with amount of sleep in the week? The night before? Etc. But there are no data on these things...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think this is economic based, but it would be really interesting to see.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't you get the memo? No one in Economics studies economics anymore...