Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
What I meant to ask was for recommendations on restaurants that are well known and respected for being exceptional (such as Peter Luger's in NY for steak, something that's a MUST have). Do you know of any?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've learned about another restaurant that might fit this description.
La Cabana (with the ~ over the n, I can't write it with this keyboard).

Apparently its had a few US presidents on its guest registrar and some other very famous people. I'm told that its more of a stuffy old people/business crowd then a place to take a date. I was also told that the food was excellent but that you are still paying significantly more for something that you could get elsewhere and cheaper.

Keep in mind, if you can't tell already, that I have not been there yet and can't recommend it. Its just that what I've gathered, it appears to be the most famous restaurant in the city. I hope to make it there someday and when that happens I'll write a review.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:20 AM

Know anything about skiing in argentina? I wanna hit it up this summer but i really know nothing about it.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Know anything about skiing in argentina? I wanna hit it up this summer but i really know nothing about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm planning on going to Bariloche this winter to do some skiing. I haven't looked into it too much because it is still a few months from winter, but when I do I'll post what I find.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:55 AM

TheMetetron,

enjoying the thread. thanks for all the good info.

i'm planning on backpacking most of south america this december through march, but i'm definitely tempted to try to move down there even sooner and do basically what you describe.

have you found it pretty easy to meet people so far? is your language school a decent network? is it really easy to find and get in pick up soccer games? are there a lot of parks in BsAs?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TheMetetron,

enjoying the thread. thanks for all the good info.

i'm planning on backpacking most of south america this december through march, but i'm definitely tempted to try to move down there even sooner and do basically what you describe.

have you found it pretty easy to meet people so far? is your language school a decent network? is it really easy to find and get in pick up soccer games? are there a lot of parks in BsAs?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a ton of parks and open spaces in BsAs. Near me there is a big open space near the cemetery and Parque Las Heras is pretty close as well. About 3 subway stops away is the extensive Palermo Parks network which is ridiculously huge. More parks than you could ever need. It literally goes for miles.

I've found it very easy to meet people. Even if you have no social networks just go to a bar known to cater to expats and you will meet people as long as you aren't a creep.

I met a decent amount of people from the language school and I'll be taking tango lessons soon which is apparently 80% women and should be an easy way to meet more people. Also know some people studying abroad here so I've met a lot of college kids down here as well.

For pickup soccer games, if you are interested let me know. I know a few people who play all the time and could definitely point you in the right direction it isn't that hard.

I'm also considering going to the archery club here and taking some lessons or to just screw around and meet people. They only speak Spanish though and you will find that to be a hindrance if you aren't willing to learn. Whatever you thing is there is sure to be a club or somewhere to meet people for it.

But you have to want to learn Spanish or you are going to hate it here. This isn't Europe and you are going to have to speak Spanish to get daily things done eventually. I did the whole I can't speak a word of Spanish thing here and it isn't fun. Basic spanish to get around doesn't take long though so as long as you are willing you will learn it quick.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 AM

awesome. a city without great big parks is not a city i would want to live in!

i actually used to speak pretty solid spanish, as my family is from mexico city (though i made the mistake of trying to learn french in high school), but i am rusty now. so yeah, improving my spanish is a big incentive for me to spend time down there.

couple more questions, a bit more obscure. are the cafes good places to settle in and work at for a few hours? is reading/literature fairly big in the culture? how does the education level compare to other places?

thanks a lot. definitely a place i will be visiting soon...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are the cafes good places to settle in and work at for a few hours? is reading/literature fairly big in the culture? how does the education level compare to other places?

[/ QUOTE ]

The cafes are awesome places to spend a few hours reading or doing work. A lot have free wifi access and the culture is such that spending 3 hours there on your laptop while getting a coffee is acceptable.

The population is much more educated than most other Latin American countries and reading is fairly big among the argies I know. Free college education for Argentines is probably the main reason.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are the cafes good places to settle in and work at for a few hours? is reading/literature fairly big in the culture? how does the education level compare to other places?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many quite a few cafes with wifi available. You can sit in cafes with just a coffee for hours and it's okay. Here is a map with some of the hotspots listed: http://www.icer2006.com/paginas/pdf/32456.pdf

People are well versed in literature here, as well as politics and world issues. I find people in BsAs to actually be better informed than many "educated" people in the States.

As metetron said before, the education level here is quite high since public education through college is free. When I tell people I meet here that even public colleges in the U.S. cost thousands of dollars per semester they are astonished.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Buenos Aires is a great city to relocate for a poker player.

Ceterius paribus, it's cheap, beautiful, accepting and accomodating to Americans. It would be difficult to find European cities that afford you the amentities and cost of living in BsAs.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:53 PM

You here right now?

Also, Uruguay is just Argentina light. Much like Canada is America light. They are just as retarded and horrible at business though.