Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 AM

Default \"Taxi monopolies\" or \"Why are there so many drunk drivers on the roads

Hey, what’s up with this weird taxi cab monopoly crap. Before moving to San Diego, I lived in Anchorage Alaska. Cabs were ubiquitous throughout the city and cheap. Most anyone leaving a bar caught a cab because of the low rates and because of the availability of cabs. If you already had a DUI, not a problem, just call a local cab company and make a deal with them. For a $100 a month, they would give you unlimited rides, meaning they would pick you up in the morning, drop you off at work, take you home, take you to the bar, back to your house etc.

If anyone had a car stolen in Anchorage, it was common knowledge that if you called the two or three major cab companies and offered a $100 reward for your car, it would be returned to you within a few hours, pretty much guaranteed. The thief wouldn’t go to trial, unless you wished, but he might very well be beaten up or at least scared half to death. Calling the cab companies was way, way more efficient then calling the police.

If your battery was out on your car, you could call a cab and for $20 he would come and jump start your car, same fee if you were out of gas anywhere ( you just had to also pay for the gas ).

When in San Diego, I had left my door open and ran my battery down so I called a cab company and they laughed at me. When my friends car was stolen, I called the cab company, and they were down right rude to me. Further more, it was prohibitively expensive to drive a cab from a bar to your home, so most everyone didn’t bother.

As it turns out, there is some sort of wacko monopoly system on cabs in San Diego. Can anyone elaborate on this weirdness? Evidently, there is some committee at the MTS or Metropolitan Transit Service that figures out the best way taxi companies can serve the public. From what I’ve seen, these folks on the committee are doing a horrible job.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: \"Taxi monopolies\" or \"Why are there so many drunk drivers on the r

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone had a car stolen in Anchorage, it was common knowledge that if you called the two or three major cab companies and offered a $100 reward for your car, it would be returned to you within a few hours, pretty much guaranteed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... what?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: \"Taxi monopolies\" or \"Why are there so many drunk drivers on the r

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone had a car stolen in Anchorage, it was common knowledge that if you called the two or three major cab companies and offered a $100 reward for your car, it would be returned to you within a few hours, pretty much guaranteed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... what?

[/ QUOTE ]

La Cosa Nostra Cab Company LDO
Old 10-17-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: \"Taxi monopolies\" or \"Why are there so many drunk drivers on the roads

People use govenment power to come up with a bunch of uneccesary rules and regulations which act as a barrier to entry so they can keep a monopoly and increase their prices.

Standard.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
La Cosa Nostra Cab Company LDO

[/ QUOTE ]
The Cosa Nostra came to life from government regulation. But it’s funny you say this. I flew in to Bethel Alaska and landed in a river quite a ways away from the town ( like 15 miles ). When my ride picked me up, we saw the CEO of the village corporation wondering around way out in the middle of nowhere. I picked him up and asked him what he was doing. Well he said, I was drunk and took a cab ride home but didn’t have money on me, so I told the fellow I would pay him tomorrow, but he drove me way out here and dropped me off in the middle of nowhere. So here I am.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thief wouldn’t go to trial, unless you wished, but he might very well be beaten up or at least scared half to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Orly???
Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thief wouldn’t go to trial, unless you wished, but he might very well be beaten up or at least scared half to death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orly???

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. From the incidences that I was personally aware of, the taxi driver that identified the car, would follow the car until it stopped somewhere, at which point, the taxi driver would approach, sometimes with a stick in his hands and sometimes not (from reports, mostly with a stick in his hand), and tell the person to leave the car that doesn’t belong to him. This brought 100% results as far as I could see. As far as did the person get beaten up? I exaggerated that, as I don’t know the answer yeah or nay. I’m actually guessing that there was little violence as the reward was usually only $100.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orly???

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. From the incidences that I was personally aware of, the taxi driver that identified the car, would follow the car until it stopped somewhere, at which point, the taxi driver would approach, sometimes with a stick in his hands and sometimes not (from reports, mostly with a stick in his hand), and tell the person to leave the car that doesn’t belong to him. This brought 100% results as far as I could see. As far as did the person get beaten up? I exaggerated that, as I don’t know the answer yeah or nay. I’m actually guessing that there was little violence as the reward was usually only $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sticks huh? Thats a great post for MidGe to read, who believes all violence in the world will be cured in one swoop when guns are outlawed.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Orly???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sticks huh? Thats a great post for MidGe to read, who believes all violence in the world will be cured in one swoop when guns are outlawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are again attributing views to me, that I don't have. One view I definitely have is that I am much more comfortable in an environment that doesn't tolerate or accept vigilantes as a means of law enforcement. My bet is that you are young, educated by watching US western movies and taking them for reality. Wake up!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Orly???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are again attributing views to me, that I don't have. One view I definitely have is that I am much more comfortable in an environment that doesn't tolerate or accept vigilantes as a means of law enforcement. My bet is that you are young, educated by watching US western movies and taking them for reality. Wake up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I am a law enforcement officer, but thank you for playing.