Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Turning 35, or Starting the Back 9

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was being understanding of your situation with my response, not pulling you up by the short hairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 'situation' might that be?

[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is that given your response, you've got a long way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something I'm not picking up on here??

[/ QUOTE ]

The "situation" that I was speaking about was the fact that other posters climbed right up your arse (understandable, given the tenor of your response, IMO).

Brad,

Yes, there's a lot (IMO) that you're not picking up on here. Let me try another it another way.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I will say this only one more time........

You need to re-read this whole string with an open mind, and you need to look within yourself as to why you've said what you've said.

Then perhaps you can begin to comprehend why some others (and I am NOT one of them) have been less than kind in responding to what you've written.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't post in this forum very much...only cruise thru occasionally but I only expressed an opinion about Kilgore's post. Right, wrong, or otherwise...just an opinion. Nothing more & nothing less.

Have I offended you in some way? You keep insinuating that I should be gaining something from reading your posts...like some sort of enlightenment or something?

As for the "other posters climbed right up your arse" comment..I didn't really think anything of it. Who cares if they don't agree with me. Do you see me whining about it? It is an internet message board afterall.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have NOT offended me in any way at all.....

But, as the Bard said.....

"Methinks thou doth protest too much"
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is that given your response, you've got a long way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something I'm not picking up on here??

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me for butting in here but what you are missing is that you are being an ahole, or at least that its the way it is coming across. When you put things into a message like "NOOOOOOOOO Really" it puts the picture of an ahole right next to you. Doesn't really matter if that is what you are trying to do or not, that is the way it seems to to others.

Everyone else is trying really hard to be nice about things and not call you names (because we are civilized here in the Lounge) but I think that is what is going on.

This reminds me so much of the confrontation I had with a guy a few months ago. He thought he was being treated a certain way because he was a minority and the only reason he was having a problem was because he was being an ahole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being an ahole as you say. For the umpteeth time, that was my take on the post. I originally tried to make it a one line response but Katy & Mrytle wanted to know more. Voila!!! I wrote more. Not intended to be attcking or calloused...simply an observation. Is there an echo in here?

I used that "NOOOOOOOOO Really" line because Myrtle was being arrogant just like he said he was. I was just agreeing with him.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM

I was sort of dreading checking this thread. I posted it after work on Tuesday and regretted it instantly. In retrospect, I could have spent more time elaborating at the very least.

Yesterday was indeed a good day. It was sunny and warmish here, with a light breeze. That made for some good birdwatching on the hike. My wife ended up going to work to fix a minor catastrophe, so I invited my mom to join me for the hike and lunch.

My favorite hiking spot didn't offer many unique birds to look at, but the winter flocks are forming and foraging en masse. A gregarious bunch of cedar waxwings was fun to watch, as these noisy little birds had themselves a feast at some kind of berry tree. The berries looked almost too big for them to swallow, but they crammed the stuff down. We startled and were startled by some ground fowl, one of which was a handsome male pheasant. That got us thinking of lunch.

We settled on a smallish mom&pop place in a rural town. The food was simple and plentiful (the corned beef was difficult to contain between slices of rye) and the conversation was nice. Mom was having some computer trouble at home, so I offered to lend a hand. We shared a pot of tea with her husband when we got back (he was playing golf earlier in the day). Mom presented me with a hardbound copy of Peterson's Field Guide as a gift.

Dinner with the Warden at our local haunt was delicious. A couple of cocktails on a school night, a Celtics win (they're playing impressive basketball), and a viewing of the fun Top Fuzz flick capped off a good day.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Wonderful post, KT.

I'm a year behind you, I have a few observations from around the same milestone marker as you are at (I'm 34) I wonder if you find any of them to be true to your life?

1. Everything worthwhile takes work/time; the trick is the picking and choosing stuff that's most worth your time and actually working on it. That actually applies as much to interpersonal relationships as it does to poker.

2. I'm more self-aware/able to compensate better than when I was younger. When I'm tired/cranky, I know I to hold my tongue a little more or try to be more patient. I don't have to win every argument anymore and I know better when to (and better able to) take a break to refocus at work or playing cards, etc.

3. Time & doing what you want to do with your time should be the goal, not $$$. BUT, oftentimes $$$ enables you to have time/do what you want to do with your time. If you look at who makes the most $$$ as a competition with someone else or as a way to prove something, I think most folks end up finding it to be a pretty hollow pursuit in of itself. In the end, you'll always be the only one holding the bag that is the result of the choices you make in your life. It may be filled with $$, but you may have lost out on a lot of other cool/great/neat experiences if money is all you ever focused on.

4. You don't have to eat as much as you think you do. In general I think we just eat too much these days. A couple years ago, I started a self-experiment where I just ate about half as much as I normally did and I ate when I wasn't hungry (I'm less picky about food when I'm not hungry) There was definitely an adjustment period, but now I basically eat half what I used to eat and it's plenty (and I eat way better) I'm overall much happier for a variety of reasons resulting from this continued experiment.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

#4 is an interesting point. We get enormously habituated to things and it's pretty easy never to question it. Like, why should we eat at certain times of day whether we're hungry or not, why is a coke in the morning shocking but not so much after lunch, and why must breakfast always be some starchy thing with syrup, some sugary cereal or eggs? Lots of Asians for instance start off the day with a bowl of low-calorie soup with meat and vegetables in it -- extremely healthy and really warms up/kick-starts the body. But we can easily get so that the least questioning of our habits startles and discomfits us to an absurd degree.

Ironically, this is an area where oldth (oldth?) can have an edge on youth. After being an adult for a while, you realize that you don't have to do a lot of things you thought you had to, nor is doing the opposite necessarily interesting or any kind of statement. You don't have to conform or unconform, and can more easily start to do things simply because they make more sense. Eating habits can be tough to change or see anything wrong with, no matter how spartan or indulgent. They just stick, hard.

But actually having a number of lighter meals is an example of something well worth considering. They make one much less likely to suffer from that post-lunch crash that comes from waiting so long to eat and then stuffing yourself -- often with high carb stuff that makes you hungry for at least a little nibble of something a surprisingly short while later anyway. And eating something at whatever time of day simply because it is good for you makes a lot more sense than eating what you're "supposed" to eat just because as far as you know that's the way everybody else is doing it.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Brad.

The people are offended in the same way you would be offended if I called you a hick racist because of your location. I know nothing about you, but I pass a crude judgement on something you wrote that could be taken in several contexts, and I don't care if I am right or wrong.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM

I took a liking to ollie's #4 as well (not that the rest aren't equally valuable). Blarg, I think that I sometimes forget this, even though I am often aware of it. Your example of the Asian breakfast starting with soup of meats and vegetables is something that I think "Oooooh, sounds good" when you say it. But then, I probably won't try it out anytime soon either. I definitely struggle with what I want to do with my eating habits. If I sit down and make a conscious decision, I can have will power over anything food related. I just haven't figured out what I want to do yet.

KT, I really hope the derailments didn't/doesn't discourage you too much. It doesn't take away from the meaning of your post, and I think a lot of people relate to it and appreciate what you're saying. But what do I know, I'm just a youth round these parts.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

KT, I really hope the derailments didn't/doesn't discourage you too much. It doesn't take away from the meaning of your post, and I think a lot of people relate to it and appreciate what you're saying. But what do I know, I'm just a youth round these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree and apologize for jumping on the derailment. The OP was good and I enjoyed it! Thank You!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was sort of dreading checking this thread. I posted it after work on Tuesday and regretted it instantly. In retrospect, I could have spent more time elaborating at the very least.

Yesterday was indeed a good day. It was sunny and warmish here, with a light breeze. That made for some good birdwatching on the hike. My wife ended up going to work to fix a minor catastrophe, so I invited my mom to join me for the hike and lunch.

My favorite hiking spot didn't offer many unique birds to look at, but the winter flocks are forming and foraging en masse. A gregarious bunch of cedar waxwings was fun to watch, as these noisy little birds had themselves a feast at some kind of berry tree. The berries looked almost too big for them to swallow, but they crammed the stuff down. We startled and were startled by some ground fowl, one of which was a handsome male pheasant. That got us thinking of lunch.

We settled on a smallish mom&pop place in a rural town. The food was simple and plentiful (the corned beef was difficult to contain between slices of rye) and the conversation was nice. Mom was having some computer trouble at home, so I offered to lend a hand. We shared a pot of tea with her husband when we got back (he was playing golf earlier in the day). Mom presented me with a hardbound copy of Peterson's Field Guide as a gift.

Dinner with the Warden at our local haunt was delicious. A couple of cocktails on a school night, a Celtics win (they're playing impressive basketball), and a viewing of the fun Top Fuzz flick capped off a good day.

[/ QUOTE ]

KT,

My kind of day! Sounds thoroughly enjoyable.

Now......Don't wait for your birthday to come again before you repeat it!!

Stay well......

Myrt
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Goddammit what a depressing thread title. I turned 34.5 today. So I have six months left before I make the turn. Thanks, KT. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]