Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Suggestions/discussion of new FAQ for forum

otts, I recommend getting mods to lock it and stick it asap so you dont get any clutter in replies. if you do get replies that dont add content then ask bobby or another mod of this forum to delete them so that the FAQ stays clean. Basically I recommend arranging to edit the OP rather than replying...A clean FAQ without any replies is a good FAQ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good job btw.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 AM

Thanks Ozi. There's a few things I saw this morning that I want to edit and a link or two I want to add, so I figured I'd just post again and have Boobyi sticky/lock that one.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 AM

This probably could go under the "easier send the done" category, but I would love to see a discussion of hand reading. Usually the discussions go like, put him on a hand, then determine if the flop helped him, etc.

What I'd like to see is someone's thinking in text. I know there are multiple variables depending on position, stack size, etc., but I think it would be beneficial if someone could walk through a sample or two.

I realize hand histories posted in the other forums may approach that, but oftentimes the poster doesn't tell you what was going through his head at each step of the way. Rather, they just say "what's my line" or "did I play this right."

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining hand reading? Much appreciated.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 PM

We could use a good discussion about hand reading here, but I don't think it's anything that needs to be stickied. Read hand posts in the strat forums for examples of what/how players think AND ask questions in some of those threads - you'll get some good feedback. For limit, search the micro forum for "playalong," you'll get some really good threads that show how different players think about hands.

Why don't you post a hand iin the beg forum, and tell us what you were thinking about on each street and any relevant info and some players here will critique your thought process? Matter of fact, I'll start a thread with a hand I played recently and you can add to it.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 PM

I think I can agree with that. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 PM

didn't get to post a hand last night - will do right now.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:14 PM

I think you should definitely cover how to play a 4-card clush draw/straight draw after the flop in the beginners' FAQ. It seems like so many people cover preflop and not as many cover tough post decisions. Thanks.

Cameron
Old 06-02-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should definitely cover how to play a 4-card clush draw/straight draw after the flop in the beginners' FAQ. It seems like so many people cover preflop and not as many cover tough post decisions. Thanks.

Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely a fundamental topic, but not something that needs to be stickied. Or you could say that it is in the FAQ...See the sections titled "search" and "books."

Why don't you ask your question to the forum? The problem t hat I see with covering specific plays in a FAQ is that the answer is almost always "it depends." Are you playing limit or nl? In limit you can raise draws for value, in nl, you may not want to reopen the betting...
How many players in the pot...what is your position? What are your reads?

So situation dependent that it's not easily answered...DUCY?

As for t he "tough post flop decisions" that is what the strat forums are for...
Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 PM

I used to have a sticky post at the top of this board, it wasn't a FAQ by any means, but i thought the links were probably usefull to beginners. maybe someone could dig those up and re-post them in the eventual FAQ if they're still applicable.

i haven't read all the responses in this thread, so forgive me if any of these suggestions are redundant.

this forum is intendend for anyone from the pure beginner who's never played poker before to experienced amatures making the first steps toward becoming real students of the game. I also think it tends to be the first forum that people that are new to 2+2 and online poker tend to visit, and those people also need guidance.

SO:

the first thing that should be included is a "hi! this is 2+2, how are you? what are you looking for?" intro, followed by links to the internet gambling FAQ, the Wiki, and so on. it would include a "this is how we do things here, here are the rules and ettiquite...", and so on.

then, i'd like to see a link to sites and posts for total newbies- something that starts with hand rankings and explains the basic mechanincs and termanology of the game (rules for LHE and NL, a glossary). this would have to include links explaining the very basic concepts behind gambling/wagering games.

next would be links to basic strategy sites/posts. it would be a waste to encumber a FAQ with questions that, though common, require a detailed answer that is readily available eslewhere. links to the FAQs and stickys in the other 2+2 forums would fit well here.

that would take care of the basics- somebody stumbling into the site and instinctivly clicking on beginners would probably find what they're looking for, and the FAQ wouldn't have to become hopelesslely mired in giving directions and explanations. most of the preceeding could be handled with links to helpful material instead of long-winded answers.

thus the FAQ could focus on those questions that come up over ad over again here on the beginners forum- "how do i start a bankroll?" "what is a 'straddle'?" "how do i play in a cardroom", and so on.

I'd be happy to contribute to the FAQ, weather by writing a portion or editing a draft. I've been very out of the loop lately, but i think i could still help.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM

You're a little late to the party bdoldr, but in talking with Boobyi, he seems intent on keeping an updated FAQ here. There's a link to what I've come up with already in the thread above Ozi's if you want to give some feedback.