Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Might have botched every street

Every street is probably questionable on this one. Here is my thought process:

- preflop UTG and MP will call one more with one or both blinds probably coming along as well so coldcalling with a good multiway hand seems ok to me here, though this might just be my NL never-fold-a-PP-because-I-can-flop-a-set thinking.
- on the flop I raise to try and get it heads up with the raiser who might have no piece of the board. this is the street I'm most interested in.
- on the turn he donks, maybe he just has a lone high club
- on the river if he didn't have a hand already well he does now and I fold.

CO just sat and is unknown.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PokerStars $0.10/$0.20 Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

CO posts a blind of $0.1

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#FF0000">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (9.49 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#FF0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Might have botched every street

pf you should 3-bet to isolate and push your equity.

on the flop i think you don't have enough equity to attempt an isolation raise. i would just call and see what develops. but i think raising is not a huge mistake since you have a chance to fold out a pair of nines or a gutshot. i also don't think you give up much by simply folding. your equity is roughly 14% on the flop.

the rest is fine.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:35 AM

i'd coldcall too because you aren't isolating and i want to be able to raise good flops. im sure 3-betting is probably immediately around breakeven before the flop.

as played preflop you really should just insta-fold the flop now that CO bets this one 4-way.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop UTG and MP will call one more with one or both blinds probably coming along as well so coldcalling with a good multiway hand seems ok to me here, though this might just be my NL never-fold-a-PP-because-I-can-flop-a-set thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums it up for me, you called hoping to hit a big hand in a multiway pot and that didnt happen so I think you should just fold it on the flop and move on

Trouble with 8s on this flop is that your either a tiny bit ahead or a long way behind although I like your thinking that a raise would be correct to isolate the CO and i'd do this sometimes on a not so draw heavy flop but not here IF you are ahead your reverse implied odds are awful

And as a side note I sometimes enter a hand preflop with a set plan and then go off on a different direction on the flop when it doesnt work out. looks to me like thats what you have done here and im sure it'd help your game alot if you could cut that out ! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd coldcall too because you aren't isolating and i want to be able to raise good flops. im sure 3-betting is probably immediately around breakeven before the flop.

as played preflop you really should just insta-fold the flop now that CO bets this one 4-way.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are not isolating then you are forcing players to make a mistake by putting in 2 more bets pf as underdogs to you. you also give yourself a chance to take a free card on the flop if it's ugly-looking for that extra chance to spike a set.

as played, i don't mind folding but is it really an insta-fold? in addition to the possibility of currently being best, we still have 2 outs for a set. can't we squeeze out some tiny extra value by hanging around in the pot at least until the turn? the pot is offering us 10.5 to 1 on a call and our implied odds are positive even despite the possibility of a straight. CO could be making a retarded continuation bet and the other two players might fold, and/or you could catch one of your set outs.

EDIT: i shouldn't even be talking about backdoor straight outs.