Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 AM

Default 50NL - Minbet wtf??? Doing Heads

Minbets are really starting to [censored] me. How someone can bet 50 cents into $5 is beyond me.

I associate this play with fish but they seem to be so effective against me at times, I am starting to think this is a good play. Can someone please explain to me wtf they mean and the best way to combat them or do they just mean anything and thus so hard to play against?

Do any of you ever employ the minbet tactic and please give your reasons behind it?

Thoughts appreciated as always.

A standard example from 2 mins ago:

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $8.53
BB: $10.08
UTG: $69.95
Hero (MP): $28.34
CO: $37.45
BTN: $21.68

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $0.90, BB folds

Flop: ($2.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises all-in to $7.53</font>, Hero says go fy fish??????????
Old 07-03-2007, 08:09 AM

Default Re: 50NL - Minbet wtf??? Doing Heads

I'd call this every time against a shortstack. If it were full stacks and the same play was made, I'd be quick to fold readless.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 AM

Instacall against shortstacked minbetters.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 AM

When faced with this kind of play I very rarely shove/raise as a bluff. It sometimes results in a fold but the minbet shove line really is just such a common occurrence - its like the "retards trap" - they think they are being trappy and xprt but its just so stupid.

So for example. You raise AQ in MP and miss the flop, villain minbets into you and has like 1/2 a stack left. Well here I will basically just call getting 10:1 and try and catch my overcard. Why raise when he stacks off with mid pair? Failing that, I'll just call his minbets to showdown and see if my ace is good. If its not, so what, I get a sick read.

In the hand you posted, the raise is fine but its for value. I stack off pretty light (TPGK) against this kind of player but I never bluff-raise.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM

Yeah its pretty annoying, some do it with Bottom Middle Pair, Some with draws some with a strong hands. Until i get a read ive learned to just call/fold unless my hand is strong enough and try and get a read and put a note on them. Then when you have a note its soooo easy to play against them because theyre practically telling you what they have once you have a note. Trouble is most of the satanic demons dont stay long enough for you take advantage because they go bust.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 AM

it's funny. i have completely different experience with minbetters. They always fold to a raise to the size of the current pot!

Sometimes, when i raise preflop and see the flop i speak to myself: no cbet on this flop - i give up. Then i see a minbet - RAAAAISE!! and they fold like always. This minbet is such a strong tell.

In your case - your hand is very nice. It is good to go allin against shortstack no matter what line both of you take i think.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's funny. i have completely different experience with minbetters. They always fold to a raise to the size of the current pot!

Sometimes, when i raise preflop and see the flop i speak to myself: no cbet on this flop - i give up. Then i see a minbet - RAAAAISE!! and they fold like always. This minbet is such a strong tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I must have seen exactly this a hundred times in the past few weeks.
BTW, in the actual post's case, I'd call the shortstack, but fold if a real stack shoves.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:50 AM

I have found that this is either a small pp or middle/bottom pair trying to find out if they are good, or top pair trying to induce a raise.

As ama said, just call down with excellent odds if you whiffed and raise when you hit. TP2ndK in this spot is enough to call his all in.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Until I get a read on what kind of hands a player is minbetting with, I think of it as a check and proceed with my normal gameplan, usually a cbet. Don't let it annoy you!