Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Highest Paying Keywords?

I always read that certain keywords pay $75 a click or so. The highest I've ever been paid is $2.15. Is there realy any keywords that pay this kind of money?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Highest Paying Keywords?

Not sure how old or accurate this list is but I knew that "Wisconsin Lemon Law" was a huge one so I googled for it + ppc and came up with http://www.writerspro.com/cb/key/index.html
Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Has anyone ever got this kind of money? Whats the most youve made from a click. Thanks for the list.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:45 PM

I don't do adsense, I do e-commerce *shrug*.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Can you imagine getting $75 per click. OMG I could make like 10K a day. I understand that this would be hard to get traffic but I could manualy drive traffic to my site and it would be worth it. Like I said $2 is the highest for me.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 PM

there is no way you can get 75 per click, the most is like 1-2, Could u imagine the click fraud with 75 a click
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Thats what I thought
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Well see there's a problem. I'll take you through the other side of the fence, the adwords advertiser.

We'll pretend my law firm deals with "Wisconsin Lemon Law" cases. We're going to have to bid $65 a click to show up reasonably well. Now we don't really expect there to be thousands upon thousands of people searching for this term every day. And of course because of competition, not everyone is going to click on our ad. So we're going to limit our daily budget to $650 so we'll be able to get about 10 clicks per day maximum.

To track how effective our ad performs, we're going to make the "goal" of a visitor a contact form to fill out or a special 800 number that only visitors who clicked an ad from google can see. We know that historically 10% of people that visit the page with the form (our goal page) end up actually filling it out.

Ok so we now make our ad and submit it. Within 15 minutes it's showing on google and their search partners (aol, askjeeves, at&t, etc) and the content network (sites like you guys make). However Google lets us use different prices depending on where our ad shows. We're able to set the price to $65 a click for visitors from google but we can set it to $10 per click from content network sites (sites like you guys make).

We're not dummies so we have analytics software installed (such as ClickTracks) to track performance. This will allow us to tag where visitors came from (your site) and whether or not that visitor ended up viewing 1 page and leaving or 10 pages and filling out the form. After a week we notice that your site has sent 30-50 visitors but not a single one has converted (called the 800 number or filled out the form). This is much worse than what we historically expected so we log into google and exclude your site from showing our ads. You'll still be showing ads from other companies paying high amounts but over time they'll probably exclude your ads also.

In the real world, I've managed over $100,000 worth of money spent on AdWords. My default when setting up a campain is to not show the ads on the content network (your guys' sites) at all right from the start. The traffic is horrible and converts at a much lower rate than traffic from the google homepage or it's search partners. Also, you're allowed to place seperate bid amounts for the search network and the content network. If a client wanted to use the client network, I'd usually set the price per click at 50% - 25% of what I was paying for clicks from Google. For example if I was paying $1.50 per click for "business envelopes", I'd set the content clicks to pay about $.40.

There are a few reasons content network traffic sucks. Fraud is obviously huge (just read this forum and the, "hey I clicked a link for you replies") whether intentional or not. Tricky layouts where visitors don't realize they're visiting a new site and immediately hit the back button once a new page loads. Or the person is still doing research but the page the adwords campaign is set up for is a "buy" page. And various other reasons.

That's why I find the google adsense referral info amusing. Most adwords publishers on other forums have reported similar results with content site traffic being the worst traffic in the world and automatically disabling it when creating a new keyword campaign.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 PM

I would think most sites could make more money from displaying a variety of affiliate ads (i'm not talking about poker ads, i mean affiliate ads for products the type of people who visit your site would probably like -- an example might be sirius satellite radio for a football related site). Just getting 1 person to signup through you will make up for a ton of adsense clicks. Then again, I don't have any existing sites or have had any sites that have gotten any traffic -- just my theory. I'm working on a site but it is still a long ways off.