Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Starting out in Limit

So I would like to try to at least learn some limit poker even though I've said in the past that I hate it.

I tried some today and is it basically standard to call down with any pair or draw and just see who lucks out? I understand the odds, they are really easy to figure out, but the trash some people are playing is just unbelievable to my no limit mind. I am having an awful tough time figuring the thought process out here, frankly because there doesn't seem to be one.

Example: Hero dealt QQ

Folds to SB who completes, Hero raises, SB calls

Flop: JT2r

SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls

Turn: 5

SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls

River: 4

SB bets, Hero raises, SB raises, Hero calls

SB shows T4o

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I ran into this kind of play over and over again on Full Tilt 0.25/0.50. I just really don't understand what is going through the other players' heads and putting them on a hand seems impossible.

How did you guys start to learn limit?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Playing Limit

Yea the suckouts are unbearable at times but believe it or not they will lose in the long run and quickly learn. I play alot of live 4-8 limit in Biloxi, MS and believe it or not a usually can make about 500+ a session. I don't necessarily play monsters but I play alot of suited connectors for cheap if I can and I play position. NEVER BLUFF! I bet my hands hard and dont be scared to reraise bc people will raise you with 2nd pr. DO not go on TILT and you will be fine. The peeps who are playing .25-.50 limit are probably beginners who dont know any better anyways.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:20 PM

So that's fine if we have opponents saying "hey look! I have 2 cards" but am I supposed to call down with second or even bottom pair like they do? It just doesn't seem right.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Limit is about winning/saving single bets. Like in any form of poker, all you can do is play a hand optimally and wait for the long run to get there.

Also remember that the odds are different in limit than no limit - if you have a fully live draw, there are many calldowns that you would not make in no limit - this is also true because you won't be facing a huge bet on the river like you might in NL/PL.

And hands like this are why there can be sick swings in limit poker.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:40 AM

OK that makes some sense to me. So is this correct:

You make money in limit when you realize that your made hand or draw is not the best and fold, saving bets.

It just didn't make sense to me before how you could have winning players because if there multiple players in pots all getting 5:1 a lot of the time or better, they are almost always all correct to call, therefore no one is making mistakes and therefore everyone should be a winner which does not compute.

This is why I thought a winner would be whoever's side variance was on for the day and I may as well be flipping on NL tables if we're all going to show our hand down anyways.

One more question, I read a post, I think by Ed Miller, that you should not be folding a reasonably big hand in a large pot for one bet. Is this true? ie. don't fold a set or a straight on a 3 flush board, etc.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 PM

OK, I think I sort of got the hang of this today, after 300 hands so far on 2 tables, I'm at 12.5BB/100. This is the biggest pot I won, I am probably limping into pots that I should be raising, but I'm still a little unsure what to do on the flop if I miss and OOP. That's why I limped in here:

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 Limit Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

CO posts
Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, SB calls, BB checks

Flop: (6.4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls, Hero calls

Turn: (6.2 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="red">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="red">UTG+2 caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls

River: (18.2 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="red">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, UTG calls

Results: 30.2 BB Pot (1 BB Rake)

Is my play here correct considering implied odds for calling the cap on the turn? My thinking was that they were probably both quite a bit ahead of me, but if I caught I spade I could get at least 2 bets out of both of them.

Edit: accidentally posted results, I win obviously.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Your opponent in this hand is exactly the kind you want at a limit table. Look how many bets you make if he doesn't hit.

BTW - just call his river bet. He's bet into you on every street after you raised on the previous one. Your one pair is probably beat, but is good often enough to call for pot odds. In your position I would expect to see JT from him.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 PM

I like that line, its pretty standard - especially if you feel you can get substantial river action (which you did). The other factor is that you have better odds than a naked flush draw - gutshot straight draw helps.

When you see the turn, you are 23.8% against the hands of set deuces/AJ. The first call is automatic (vs a fold), and once it is 3 bets back to you, you know its a 3 way capped pot if you call - so its 3BB to win 15.2 in the pot. That's an acceptable price.

And when we're talking about limit play (this is also true in PLO often, but I digress), it's entirely common to have both players playing a hand correctly when it goes bet-call. Player A is ahead so he is right to bet. Player B is mathematically getting the proper immediate odds to call, so he does. Perfectly normal, happens almost every hand, especially if the pot gets bloated early.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Kurn, umm I don't have a pair on the river, I have the nuts.

Selling, thanks for the advice. Your last paragraph is what I'm really struggling with in my head though. I just can't wrap my mind around both players playing correctly because it seems like the only thing that separates the winning players from the losing players then is variance which in the long term is supposed to even out, therefore that makes everyone who can count odds and outs a winner which is probably more than half the poker playing community, which makes this impossible. Sorry this is just weird poker theory stuff I'm making up.

Anyways, in the hand above UTG had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for 2 pair and UTG+2 had Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the turned straight. We all played this hand correctly except for UTG on the river I suppose. I'll have to think about this some more, weird.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Kurn, umm I don't have a pair on the river, I have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's talking about the first hand, I think.