Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-25-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: The start of a hand?

There are the rules about how long you have to contest a hand. The statute of limitations there is often "until the first riffle of the next hand", and that's what's in Robert's Rules. So yes, there is some precedent to that being "the start of the next hand". But there are other rules that pick different cutoff times. Robert's Rules say you can buy chips "before cards are dealt" but doesn't specify exactly what he means by that...first riffle, final cut, first card off the deck, first card to the player... I don't see anything specific. Common practice is "until you get your first card" or "until SB gets the first card". Which is also the cutoff for deciding you don't wanna play your blind.

I really don't see a need for a specific, single definition of "the hand has started". I like the rules saying "the cutoff for dealing with THIS is the riffle" or "you must buy chips or announce your intention prior to the first card being dealt off the deck." Beats saying "the end of the hand" or "the start of the hand" and then having a one-size-fits-all attempt at defining that.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody ever seen even a halfway decent player ask for a setup? Assuming no physical issues with the cards of course. I have not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have... there's an asian guy who plays frequently in the games I play, he's a good player, slightly loose and aggressive and smart. He asks for scramble frequently, and deck change sometimes.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 AM

If the question is, "Should the dealer ever stop mid-shuffle?", I would say, "He'd better have a damn good reason."

Neither getting a set-up, nor selling chips, nor being tapped on the shoulder by the relief dealer, qualify as "a good reason".
Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 AM

although rare, i think even some of the decent or good laggy players can be superstitious.

i believe the hand does start when the shuffling begins, so no deck change imo. But that doesn't mean you can't buy in or opt out of a hand before the cards fly.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:10 PM

This is a tournament guideline. It is confusing for cash game players, who see little practical use of this technicality, tho' a few good (but rare) have been mentioned.

The most common invocation of this phrase is during tournaments when the blinds go up. If the dealer has started the first riffle, the blinds are still at the previous level.

Setups. When I call for a setup, I do it quickly and hopefully at a time when the board is busy with something else. Unless there's something legitimately wrong with the deck, of course, in which case I get it replaced as quickly as I can.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can you buy chips after "the hand has started"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. How do you define when "the hand has started"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same way procedure dictates me to define it. The first riffle of the shuffle is the start of a hand. As I said, you can still buy chips after the technical start of a hand, same with straddles, moving seats, even getting up from your blind for a bathroom break, ect..

I'm not sure where you're going with this though as all I did was answer your question of if you can buy chips after the start of a hand.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 PM

I think the most critical aspect of this for cash games is concerning disputes about a hand.

A common rule is that any dispute about a hand must be stated before the start of the next hand. I think a move towards defining when a hand begins as when the first card is in the air is in order.

The circumstances have changed. Many rooms (especially concerning cash games, tourneys to a lesser extent) now employ shuffle machines. There is no longer a "first riffle". To apply the "first riffle" rule would mean that a hand would start when the dealer pushes the green button? I guess? The point is, I don't see a good bright line like the first riffle when using a shuffle machine.

The bright line could be the delivery of the first card to the small blind. Many rooms use that as a cutoff point for straddling, adding on, and things of this nature.