Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: I\'m likely just a nit

[ QUOTE ]
I do this stuff late at night, and Im not a cop, I dont see what the big deal is. I rarely wait for a light to turn at 3am when no one else is around.

[/ QUOTE ]
What bothers me about it is that if the cop saw you make a harmless illegal u-turn or ran a red light with no one around, he'd happily bust you for it. If it's wrong for me to do it why can he?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
generalizations are always wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the irony.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's wrong for me to do it why can he?

[/ QUOTE ]
To be honest, this isn't such a hard question. The cop has to go through intense and frequent driving training. He's a better driver than you are. Our system says a law's a law, but if it were possible to give better drivers more leeway, I'm for it, and this does seem like a step in that direction.

My issue is the bigger picture of power abuse.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 PM

I remember reading a story a couple years ago about several fire fighters (maybe police as well) getting suspended for using a special transmitter that changes traffic signals to green. Here in my town we have many traffic lights that respond to these transmitters and it allows fire trucks, etc. to get through busy intersections by overriding the upcoming traffic signals.

Also, I had an old girlfriend date a cop a couple of years after me. She was in a BMW and he was in his police car and for fun he chased her down the interstate with his lights on at well over 100mph in the middle of the night. Probably not smart or safe. I think he was trying to impress her with his authority to break the law.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:30 PM

this bothers me a bit but not nearly as much as [censored] cops. ive had my share of run-ins with the cops and 90% of the time they were total dicks (weather or not i was breaking the law). of course most of these incidents were when i was a teenager but still.

about the abuse of siren stuff tho, if i were a cop i totally see myself doing this. so i cant really get mad.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's wrong for me to do it why can he?

[/ QUOTE ]
To be honest, this isn't such a hard question. The cop has to go through intense and frequent driving training. He's a better driver than you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do not doubt that they are better drivers than us. the problem is not that they drive bad, it is that we do. sirens often panic these less-skilled drivers, and they may make a mistake.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:23 AM

this is serious tard-speak. of all the cops i know (I know many) the percentage of d-bags is much less as the percentage of d-bags in the general population. maybe you just bring out their bad side?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is that the cops you know(who are either your friends or acquaintances) are less likely to be d-bags than the average person. Of course you feel that way otherwise they wouldn't be your friends. This is no different than saying "my friends cooler than people I don't know."

I was the first to call cops d-bags in this thread. They like to power trip/demand respect for themselves. That's part of why they chose the profession.
People have suggested that people who hold a similar opinion of cops must have problems with the law. However, I have never been arrested, and have no record.

Best thing is: Cops love me. I've lived in CA for 7 years and have been pulled over for traffic violations on a number of occasions. End result- ZERO tickets.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is serious tard-speak. of all the cops i know (I know many) the percentage of d-bags is much less as the percentage of d-bags in the general population. maybe you just bring out their bad side?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is that the cops you know(who are either your friends or acquaintances) are less likely to be d-bags than the average person. Of course you feel that way otherwise they wouldn't be your friends. This is no different than saying "my friends cooler than people I don't know."

I was the first to call cops d-bags in this thread. They like to power trip/demand respect for themselves. That's part of why they chose the profession.
People have suggested that people who hold a similar opinion of cops must have problems with the law. However, I have never been arrested, and have no record.

Best thing is: Cops love me. I've lived in CA for 7 years and have been pulled over for traffic violations on a number of occasions. End result- ZERO tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to work for a county correctional department where I met ad worked with any number of correctional deputies, sheriff deputies, police officers, probation officers and other emergency personnel types. as with any place of work, there were some who I was friends with and some who I couldn't stand. even the ones I couldn't stand didn't, for the most part, exhibit the type of power tripping d-baggery that seems to be the root of this thread. some were did this, of course, but not nearly to the extent that many here think, and nowhere near the majority. this is probably a case of a few bad apples ruining the whole bunch, but I think perpetuating this unfair stereotype about our law enforcement officers is very hurtful to the vast majority who are truely there for the right reasons. fwiw, i've also found may more power tripping d-bags in the corporate world.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cops are douches. They became cops because they were picked on and teased as kids, and feel like they didn't get the proper amount of respect that they deserved. This is why cops and people who work in security power trip all the time. By turning on the siren they're able to make people respectfully move out of their way.Giving people like that a respect switch(aka the siren switch) will always result in a an abuse of power. They're addicted to power and respect, even if it is fabricated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the opposite. Most cops were bullies as kids, and they became cops so they could push people around as adults. Being a cop is the ultimate for a bully. I grew up in a small town, and what did I notice as I grew into my twenties? Many of the douchebag bullies in high school became cops.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cops are douches. They became cops because they were picked on and teased as kids, and feel like they didn't get the proper amount of respect that they deserved. This is why cops and people who work in security power trip all the time. By turning on the siren they're able to make people respectfully move out of their way.Giving people like that a respect switch(aka the siren switch) will always result in a an abuse of power. They're addicted to power and respect, even if it is fabricated.

[/ QUOTE ]

generalizations are always wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless of course they are used to describe a large and diverse group of people in a general way.

Oh and cop as childhood bully is the better generalization.

J