FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: **Ask a golf course employee**

why are the greens always so damn slow?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why it would be a "beat" to cut the holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cut cups most days the when I was working maintenance and it was one of my favorite things to do. It was cool as hell playing after work knowing exactly where the pins were on 9 or 18 of the holes already.

[/ QUOTE ]

my view is that i would rather be on a mower than cutting cups and figured not knowing how to do that would increase my chances, its all about me
Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude. Ben Hogan did that [censored] by sight. Eff the 150 yd markers. Courses shouldn't have them. Maybe a rock. Or a tree (but it has to be a native tree).

[/ QUOTE ]

i worked at ben hogan's course and there were yardage markers all over the place.

sure, he was so insane he probably could tell the difference between 150 and 152 by sight, but I am sure he wouldn't of turned down the information if someone wanted to give it to him.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 PM

Personally, I love cutting cups. What I don't like is when a daily fee player starts bitching and moaning about where they are placed. When I do it, I put them where they are fair but with some difficulty during the week and then on the weekends they are really easy.

For the guys that work at a course, what job sucks the most? For me it's any job where I am working with guys that don't speak English!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are the greens always so damn slow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Find a new course?

Tuq,

I used to cut holes and it was cake... it always amazes me when courses put out some retard to cut holes and move tee markers. It's so easy to do right but also not too hard to [censored] up and it makes all the difference...the two things every golfer sees each hole are the tee markers and the cups so get it right imo.

And nothing would tilt me more than having to play the same course over and over with the same pins. Pisses me off just thinking about it.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For the guys that work at a course, what job sucks the most? For me it's any job where I am working with guys that don't speak English!

[/ QUOTE ]

my least favorite job is either filling divots on the fairway or weed whipping
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I used to cut holes and it was cake... it always amazes me when courses put out some retard to cut holes and move tee markers. It's so easy to do right but also not too hard to [censored] up and it makes all the difference

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a pretty snobby statement. Sure it's mostly simple to cut cups IF YOU ARE A SOMEWHAT KNOWLEDGEABLE GOLFER. But ask yourself, how many workers on the grounds crew have EVER played golf?

BO
Old 11-08-2007, 01:20 AM

Even for the non-golfer I wouldn't think that cutting cups with the instructions "find a flat spot near the middle, front or back according to the rotation" would be fairly simple.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even for the non-golfer I wouldn't think that cutting cups with the instructions "find a flat spot near the middle, front or back according to the rotation" would be fairly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

that may fly at a municipal course but try doing that at a private course and as soon as someone is upset with a hole it doesnt take long to get back the person that did it wrong
Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even for the non-golfer I wouldn't think that cutting cups with the instructions "find a flat spot near the middle, front or back according to the rotation" would be
fairly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of things you can [censored] up cutting cups.

-Cut them too shallow or deep (I've seen it at [censored] courses where the cup cutter does not regulate the depth).
-Spilling dirt all over while moving the old plug and not cleaning it up.
-Not taking the time replacing the old plug so it is not level w/ the surface and thus sinks down further, or gets scalped.
-Cutting them on too severe of a slope/too close to the edge of a green.
-Not making sure the cup is perfectly upright/pin crooked.
-Not regularly sharpening the cup cutter so the edges don't become dull (cup cutters responsibility, some courses go a season without sharpening them)
-Cutting cups on stressed/diseased areas or spots with lots of ball marks
I could prolly think of 5-10 more but thats plenty, and they may sound obv but people making less than 10$ an hr that are not golfers don't rly give a [censored].