Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: When are games too good?

Towers of 50 chips on a single layer chip base until I have more than four racks, ftw. Then I go with the pyramid stacked on top of the larger pyramid and build vertically. God, I wish I had a pic.

These are really the kind of theoretical questions we should be discussing in the forums.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 AM

I agree with what other people have said here. These kinds of tables are good, but the variance is high.

[ QUOTE ]

I would try to isolate or reduce the playing field, but would still get many callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot raise to isolate weak players in this kind of a game. Raise for value, not to isolate. Since the pots are big, you can limp with drawing hands you could not play in a tighter game. Keep track of pot odds. Don’t fold things like gut shot straight draws for one bet when you have the odds to call and the board and action do not look bad.

Remember that the schooling effect does help protect the fish. They are making the pots large, which means some of the ‘mistakes’ they are making are actually correct. In some cases they do have the pot odds post flop to call with their long shot draws, and their pre-flop mistakes are small too because of the large pots, but they are still making mistakes. You just need to adjust your game to exploit the mistakes they are making.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that the schooling effect does help protect the fish. They are making the pots large, which means some of the ‘mistakes’ they are making are actually correct. In some cases they do have the pot odds post flop to call with their long shot draws, and their pre-flop mistakes are small too because of the large pots, but they are still making mistakes. You just need to adjust your game to exploit the mistakes they are making.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this touches on one of the mistakes that 'good' players make in these goofy games. They fold to often, because they aren't adjusting their play for the size of the pot. I can't even list all of the situations, but you see people folding for one bet with gutshots, not peeling with their pocket pairs, not peeling with bottom/midpair and some backdoor draws, etc. You need to think about ALL your outs, and also keep track of what kind of price you are getting.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Towers of 50 chips on a single layer chip base until I have more than four racks, ftw. Then I go with the pyramid stacked on top of the larger pyramid and build vertically. God, I wish I had a pic.

These are really the kind of theoretical questions we should be discussing in the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude draw this pyramid thing. I'm gonna be gone for a few days so PM/IM me or something.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM

I can't quite visualize one outer's pyramid either.

Mine is just the basic pyramid of stacks of 20.

Top level one stack. Next level down, 3 stacks. Third level down, 6 stacks. Fourth level down 10 stacks. Fifth level down, 15 stacks, and so on. Actually never built one bigger than five levels.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Yours is exactly what I'm talking about. Perhaps I did a bad job of originally explaining it. I'm tired. I"m going to sleep now.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 AM

you probably haven't played enough poker or don't know how to play very well. Those 5 way capped pots where you win UI with QQ can really do wonders for your bankroll man.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:04 AM

games can never be too good
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
games can never be too good

[/ QUOTE ]

if you hold a certain disdain for profit or making money, i would disagree.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:16 PM

The OP's description describes the 8/16 games at Canterbury Park in MN perfectly. When I first started playing these games I thought they were just a crapshoot and the best starting hand never won because you always got chased down.
Now I know they are a goldmine if you can make the proper adjustments. You can't raise to issolate or bluff because they will call and coldcall 2 or sometimes even 3 bets. You are often right to draw to gutshots, two pair and even 2 outer pocket pairs after the flop in huge pots. Just play ABC poker and play your big hands and draws strongly and you will rake in huge pots. It can be frustrating on nights when you get sucked out on or can't hit your big draws but the times you do you will win racks of chips off the chasers and the super LAG's.
Closed Thread