Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Default JJ on AAx board against dbeckham and fish

UTG in this hand is a LAG-Fish running on 50/30/1,4/50WTS
CO is dbeckham running 27/21 in this session

the flopcall from LAG means any pair or slowplayed Ace, dbeckhams raise can also be an Ace but i know he is capable of raising here with pairs below that
So in this lineup i would not feel comfortable folding my Jacks but if dbeckham bets turn and river i am definitely toast and he will valuetown me with KK.
The reason for my turn-c/r was to make dbeckham fold QQ-KK and see what the LAg does, if any of them 3-bets i am out of the hand. Since the fish again just called i figured my hand was best and bet the river. the only thing that would be tough to figure for me would be if dbeckham called the turn, i think c/f river would be the best play then.

Thoughts?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

River: (15.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: JJ on AAx board against dbeckham and fish

That is a pretty bold move and I like your thought process. Seems like the LAG is pretty showdown bound, but does he really call 2 cold on the turn with Tx or a pp? Seems like he has a weak Ace a lot, so I'm not too sure about the river play.

Overall, I will say nh sir, but I may be convinced otherwise. I would probably peel flop and fold turn in practice. Your equity on the flop cannot be great vs dbeckham's range.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 PM

actually, thinking about it more, this is borderline spew imo. But you took the line that gives you the best chance at winning the pot.

The best line I think is to call flop, hope to spike a boat and give up.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:02 PM

the LAG was a retarded LAG, he would definitely give action if he had trips, so i am not concerned about him. and he was'nt the type who has low aggression on flop and turn and goes apeshit on river , so hes not the "slowplaying til river" type of fish.
the pot is pretty big on the turn and dbeckham is definitely capable of betting tens or nines here unimproved again so the factor that i could still be best and have the opportunity to make better hands fold combined made me think that almost 6:1 was enough to make c/r a better move then c/f.

edit: dbeckham said in chat he actually folded because of the coldcalling fish, but i don't know if he had reads on him, because getting called by the fish didnt scare me at all.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 PM

that turn raise blows.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 AM

I haven't played with dbeckham in awhile but from what I recall he's solid with occasional spews? If he's raising the flop with 99/TT he sucks, and TT just pulled ahead of you. I can't imagine this being good unless you're pretty sure dbeckham always raises KK/QQ on the flop and folds them to a turn c/r, and that the fish doesn't have you beat.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 AM

I think the turn raise is a bit too much, CO raising the preflop capper on a super-dry flop should mean something.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 AM

i guess this is dbeck in spew mode. no way he should play KK-QQ this way.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:32 AM

I am too lazy to do the math. But QQ-KK seems like a narrow range compared to the Ax and TT in dbechams range.

Also, by the time you raise the turn you are not sure whether the idiot LAG is waiting to make his "expert c/r" with 33 or Ax.

I think its quite a big parlay for dbecham to HAVE QQ-KK AND to fold them AND for idiot LAG not to have TT, 33 or Ax.

But it turned out well I guess, so nice play. I think its spew - but as I said; I havent doen any math.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 AM

the circumstances "felt" right (his flopraise made me a bit suspicious, i am not sure what he would do with Ax on this dry of a board), i had the read that the LAG was weak and dbeckham would fold non Ax hands almost always with the third player in. but after some review this should not be a standard play i guess.

thx for all the replies