Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather
Have a thumb sticking out of your chin? 8 47.06%
Live in a world where Toby Keith music was the only music available? 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Fire Jack Effel Now!!!!

The structures are fine; hell, that's about the last thing I'd be complaining about this year.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 AM

The structures are fine, hello? The non-flop events are totally messed up. Really slow at the beginning, and horribly huge orbit costs at the final table. I guess since the pros are mostly hold'em types nobody really thought out what doubling the intial stack size with the same increases in the bring ins would do in stud events. It is not alright. I would say the blinds for the flop events are slightly too steep at the end, but it is nowhere as significant a problem.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 AM

thats limit tournaments though, they have to become crapshoots or they'll never end
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM

They don't need to be super slow at the beginning and have a single orbit cost half an average stack. That is beyond a crap shoot. They need to even out the structure, anyone that plays stud would tell you if you double stack size at the beginning you would need to more than need to double the bring in and blinds from the previous structure.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM

yeah, the early levels should be looked at for sure, i agree
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Goering and others had determined that the structure is slightly better this year. What's all the complaining about?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a thread about it. The structure including the time per round at the FT is screwed up.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM

I feel like limit events should have starting levels that (a) have higher limits than the existing starting levels, but (b) last longer than later levels.

That way, you actually get some eliminations in the earlier levels, easing the need to increase the blinds dramatically in the later levels. E.g. start on what is now level 3, but have each of the first 3 levels last 2 hours instead of 1 hour.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Goering and others had determined that the structure is slightly better this year. What's all the complaining about?

[/ QUOTE ]
That discussion was the hold-em structure which is indeed slightly better (although there have been some complaints about the final table structure). I haven't seen any detailed analysis of the Stud events structure, but it does look to me that the OP is correct.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Raymer said something similar about the structure of the limit tournaments in one of Pokernews live update clips.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Whoever said Jack Effel is a standup guy doesn't really know him. He simply slithered his way into a position WAY over his head.

I met Jack in San Diego 2.5 years ago. He reminds me of a vulture of sorts. Sort of goofy and ugly, scavenging around and ending up with things that no one else really wanted. (girls, jobs, and barbers would all seem to fit in that category).

Now he has a job he can't do. Its not his fault he can't do it, he just doesn't have the skills. He tries to do things to give the WSOP the appearance of success. However, its just not working. Sort of like buying a homely chick fake boobs to try to make her seem more attractive. Um, just doesn't work.

Jack is great with paperwork. He sucks at people skills. He really knows very little about poker and poker players. He has no charisma. He is goofy looking.

Bring back Matt or Johnny. Or give the gig to Jimmy.

As long as Jack is in the drivers seat the WSOP will continue to be a cluster****.