Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Limit O8 hand.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I wouldn't be in there chasing to get quartered, which is my point for questioning the pre-flop call in a raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should have said this was also short handed 6-7 players. If you're waiting for a better hand on the button facing a CO raise I think you're playing way too tight. Also note I didn't call, I raised because I wanted to drive out the blinds and get HU.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 PM

That's a dynamic piece of information that was omitted. You leave off the table dynamiics: player reads, stacks, # of players, and you get answers based on a poor setup.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
# of players

[/ QUOTE ]
So how many people fold in front of the CO changes how you play against a CO open raise???
Old 10-07-2006, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I wouldn't be in there chasing to get quartered, which is my point for questioning the pre-flop call in a raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? Preflop, on the button, facing a cutoff open raise, with two flush draws (one to the nut flush), a second nut low draw and three broadway cards -- how are you "chasing to get quartered"?? It just doesn't make sense. In your world you would never play A2xx because you are just chasing being quartered... preflop he has high options and low options. His hand has significant scoop potential with strong backup potential for at least half the pot.

His reraise was an attempt to isolate CO with position. That is a smart move if there is any chance that CO is raising light. Many blinds will call a single raise with marginal hands in 2/4 LO8 -- It is better to try and eliminate the blinds.

I think you might want to reread some of those poker books...
Old 10-07-2006, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
# of players

[/ QUOTE ]
So how many people fold in front of the CO changes how you play against a CO open raise???

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it fine. Shorthanded makes the play even better.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In the hand in question, there just aren't enough times to scoop or 3/4 the competition, short handed, which is the point of playing Omaha 8b.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might have read some pot limit philosophy which is fine. Chasing half a pot in loose limit games is ok. Your payoff will still be better then your investments. Obviously not the case in Pot limit where the later streets can really screw you if you are getting quartered and facing pot size bets.

I would bet the turn. easy call on the river. The turn check will cause your opponent to lead the river with a lot of hands. I'm guessing you got scooped though.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:37 AM

Bremen - Assuming your intention was to knock out the blinds and get one-on-one with CO, I like your pre-flop raise. You have a very nice one-on-one hand. Didn't work this time against this BB, but was worth a try. Fine.

And you bet the flop. Fine.

But you dropped the ball on the turn. When you don't bet the turn after betting aggressively pre-flop and post flop, one of your opponents is likely to take a shot at you on the river. And that is what happened here. Better for you to bet the turn forcing your opponents to guess than to put them in a position to bet the river and make you guess. By betting the turn, you might knock off a potentially better high hand than yours and also might knock out another ace-three low hand. You only have second nut low, but a turn bet would not exactly be a bluff, and might take down the pot. Often by betting aggressively, you turn what might otherwise win a half or a quarter of the pot into a scooper. You started the sequence. You set up the old one two. But then you quit after only the old one. Oh well... (sigh) [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

You should definitely not fold on the river, but should you just call or should you raise? I somehow don't envision BB folding to your raise. Therefore, I think a call is your best move on the river.

Buzz
Old 10-08-2006, 01:15 AM

i dont like the 3-bet preflop.

flop bet is fine

on the turn i bet here

river is easy call
Old 10-22-2006, 02:58 AM

If you bet the turn & get check-raised,What do you do?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:04 AM

If you 3-bet before the flop,bet the flop,& then bet the turn,you have overplayed your hand on every street,imo.