Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:39 AM

Default I propose a new poker rule

First the scenario that needs to be addressed; then my proposed remedy:

SCENARIO:

Seat 4 bets. Seat 6 calls. Dealer stops the action, because Seat 6 has acted out of turn. Dealer pushes Seat 6's chips back to him, and indicates that the action is on Seat 5.

Seat 6 is confused, because Seat 5 doesn't have any cards. Seat 6 expresses his confusion to the dealer.

The dealer assures Seat 6, "Yes, he has cards. You can't see them, because he's holding them in his left hand. The players to his right can see them. I, sitting directly across the table, can see them. I would imagine that almost everyone at the table can see them--except for you."

This scenario plays out at least once per down, every night of my life.

MY PROPOSED SOLUTION:

It should be illegal to hold your cards in your left hand in a matter that causes the player to your left to act out of turn. I suggest that if a player is caught holding his cards in this manner when his left-side neighbor acts out of turn, a penalty should be enforced.

Suggested penalties:

--Offending player is fined the amount of one Big Blind. This money goes to charity.

--Offending player must pay each player at the table an amount equal to one Small Blind.

No matter what penalty we decide upon, it is mandatory that the amount of the fine be doubled if the player gives the dealer a dirty look when she explains to him that it's HIS OWN FAULT the other guy acted out of turn.

I hate those dirty looks.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: I propose a new poker rule

Does everyone in your life hate you?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:08 AM

Only my readers in the B&M forum.

On other pages, and in real life, I come across as a very likable person.

Here, I rant about [censored] that annoys me.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:11 AM

I've always thought that a KITN is the standard remedy for these sorts of problems. Has anything changed?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought that a KITN is the standard remedy for these sorts of problems. Has anything changed?

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thoughts exactly, but I'm not sure most of'em have any balls so the fine probably causes more pain. How many nerve endings are still viable in a vestigial organ?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 AM

This idea is terrible.

LISTEN GUYS:
THE MORE BAROQUE THE RULES, OR DRACONIAN THE PENALTIES, THE LESS ATTRACTIVE POKER BECOMES FOR NEWER PLAYERS. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE. I WANT GOOD GAMES TO PLAY IN, OK???
Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
This idea is terrible.

LISTEN GUYS:
THE MORE BAROQUE THE RULES, OR DRACONIAN THE PENALTIES, THE LESS ATTRACTIVE POKER BECOMES FOR NEWER PLAYERS. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE. I WANT GOOD GAMES TO PLAY IN, OK???

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, chill out, the rule requiring you to keep your cards in plain sight already exists. Angleshooters and (insert explictitive of choice) that hide their cards are much worse for the game than a clearly stated and uniformly enforced rule. Yes, our suggested punishments may be a little extreme.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:14 AM

Snowball is right. Nits acting like this kills my action.
For every angleshooter, there are at the very least 100 simpletons just being simple.

I like simpletons in my game, and fining them for being stupid is the best way to send them packing back to the BJ table or the slots.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For every angleshooter, there are at the very least 100 simpletons just being simple.

I like simpletons in my game, and fining them for being stupid is the best way to send them packing back to the BJ table or the slots.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 AM

One big blind to charity FTW. Who gets to pick the charity? Is it still tax deductible?

-Tom