Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

Huskiez:

a Yankees rebuild would take one season. They have to keep Posada and Rivera around - there's no reason not to.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huskiez:

a Yankees rebuild would take one season. They have to keep Posada and Rivera around - there's no reason not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really because they'll both probably require 4y 52m or something which they aren't really worth. Posada put up a career season (and will be paid according to that). And with regards to Mariano, check out the 2009 potential FA RPs: KRod, Nathan, Lidge, R. Soriano. The first two would probably command similar money, and the latter two could be had for much cheaper I think.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huskiez:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really because they'll both probably require 4y 52m or something which they aren't really worth. Posada put up a career season (and will be paid according to that). And with regards to Mariano, check out the 2009 potential FA RPs: KRod, Nathan, Lidge, R. Soriano. The first two would probably command similar money, and the latter two could be had for much cheaper I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yanks will sign both Posada and Rivera to 3 year deals.
They may hvae to pay more per season without the 4th year but that is fine
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huskiez:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funny how you didn't trot out a list of potential FA catchers - maybe because there aren't any and the yankees have zero in the system. you really want jose [censored] molina to be the catcher?

you can't bank on next offseason - k-rod might be signed, and lidge stinks - so now you're down to two guys. rivera is tremendous, i see no reason to give him up. he's not holding anyone back and $ is limitless for the yankees.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:20 PM

I agree the yankees shouldn't sign any of the overpriced veterans (Lowell, Jones, etc) to long term deals. But that means that next year or two are transitional years until you can target the right veterans (Santana) that you are willing to sign long term to fill out your team. So shouldn't the team sign some short term gap fillers to one or two year deals?

COME

ON

DOWN

BARRY

LAMAR

BONDS!!!!!!!!!!!

If he can play some first, great. If he can play some outfield, great. Otherwise just DH him and DFA Giambi.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was an honest question. I have been thinking about it since the Yankees lost in the playoffs.

Onlinebeginner, if you're such an activist in this forum, why not make some valid points on this. I haven't read the entire thread and I'm not going to. Redirect me if it has been discussed, but don't try to moderate this thread when I was asking a serious question. I'm asking for the opinions of other sports fans who have more knowledge than I do. Yes, maybe my reference to the Pirates was a little low, but you get the idea.

I saw it with the Atlanta Braves. They won in 1995, and while they were still good for years after, as their team changed dramatically, they started losing touch. As the competitive advantage kicks into gear, worse teams in the past are getting better (Indians, Cubs, Rockies, etc) and the better teams in the past are losing ground (Yankees, Braves...etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

ther are loaded with young pitching, and can sign any free agent they want too....there is a CHANCE that they might not be as GREAT for this coming season... but then there gonna sign santana plus their FA's rrom this year and last... then be even better than they have been
Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 PM

2009 sign a shortstop and move jeter to 3b
Old 10-29-2007, 05:50 PM

and we don't want to pay abreu to leave... he's really good
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Sign Andruw Jones. Just do it. Give him his money. Failing that, for whatever reason, get Hunter or Rowand, in that order of priority.

2. Trade for Santana and sign him to a 6-7 year contract extension at 22ish/yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you got points one and two out of order. They should first trade for Santana THEN sign a replacement for Cabrera. I'm sure you know that if Cabrera is not a part of a Johan deal, they don't need a CF.

Trading Melky/Wang/SecondTierProspect for Santana would be contingent on signing him to an extension. 6/150 would be fine, making the total value over Santana's Yankee career 7/164. Cabrera is easily replaced in this FA market, so he's very expendable. Obviously upgrading from Wang to Santana is huge, especially when taking into account the "secret sauce".

[ QUOTE ]
3. Trade either Damon, Matsui, or Abreu... in that order of priority. Then start Melky/Jones in center or left, with Matsui or Abreu in right, and the other DHing. Expect to eat salary in any trade except with Abreu.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not necessary. The Yankees OF would be Damon/Matsui/Abreu/FA CF. Two of those three are not pillars of health. Another option would be to not sign the FA CF and just roll with Damon. Another optoin would be to pick up Kenny Lofton on a one year contract and deal with Damon/Lofotn in CF.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Make Giambi decent enough at first that you can start him there. If you can't start Giambi at first, then he should be your priority DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Giambi should be the DH when healthy. Of course Damon, Matsui, and Abreu will need to cycle through. You're probably stuck with Melakjelaghoaewz or someone similar at first.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Start Betemit at 3B. Please don't get Crede, he sucks. Same with Beltre. Lowell will demand way too much money and is going to go downhill real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beltre would be a great pickup, but he'll be too expensive in players. If the Yanks are going to make a blockbuster, it might as well be for Miguel Cabrera. That's probably a year off, plus, I can't see the Yanks making two blockbusters in one year. Santana is more important to the 2008 sucess. Lowell on a two year deal wouldn't be bad, but that ain't gonna happen. If there's room on the 25 man roster, you can pick up Pedro Feliz to partner with Betemit. If not, just roll with Betemit. Feliz could be a great pickup, because he can back up at short and first too.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Resign Rivera and Posada. This is an absolute must on both accounts. There is no better catcher available and Mo is... well, Mo.

[/ QUOTE ]

With A-Rod gone, Posada is a must. Rivera is as well, because that leaves the option of starting Joba. I suppose they could go with Fransisco Cordero over Rivera, but I don't see why they wouldn't just roll with Mo.

7. The most important move. Sign Leo Mazzone. Not only do you get the brilliance, he should help keep Girardi in check with the young valuable arms.

People acting like the Yankees are going to open with a $140MM payroll are lol. The money is going to get spent, just hope they spend it wisely. Santana is the biggest need, with another power reliever (maybe Joba?) a close second.

2008 Rotation-Santana, Hughes, Kennedy, Mussina. Obviously Pettite slides in if he re-ups. Clemens could come back. Schilling could be a nice fit here. Obviously Joba is an option, although he might be more valuable in the short term in the bullpen. Livan Hernandez would be a great fit. A short term deal for an injury risk like Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, or Matt Clement could be the best option. How about Mark Prior? A lot of what happens here depends on the availability of 25 man roster spots.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...because that leaves the option of starting Joba. with Mo.

Santana is the biggest need, with another power reliever (maybe Joba?) a close second.

2008 Rotation-Santana, Hughes, Kennedy, Mussina. Obviously Pettite slides in if he re-ups...Obviously Joba is an option, although he might be more valuable in the short term in the bullpen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Joba Chamberlain a lock for next year's starting rotation? I thought Hank Steinbrenner has publicly stated this.