Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Default my cards get mucked, standard?

So last night im playing at this game, more like a club than a home game. First the table is one of those with the wood around the rim for chip stacks. I hate putting my cards on that cause its so hard to lift them up to look at them so i keep them out front on the felt. Im utg and make a raise. There are like 4 callers and then the bb mucks. when he does he throws them into my cards. The dealer says that my hand is mucked. Im kinda shocked as i had kk and never had this happen to me before.

I just decided to let it go as most of the players agreed that my hand was mucked and i needed to keep a chip on top or place them closer to me. Is this standard?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: my cards get mucked, standard?

[ QUOTE ]
So last night im playing at this game, more like a club than a home game. First the table is one of those with the wood around the rim for chip stacks. I hate putting my cards on that cause its so hard to lift them up to look at them so i keep them out front on the felt. Im utg and make a raise. There are like 4 callers and then the bb mucks. when he does he throws them into my cards. The dealer says that my hand is mucked. Im kinda shocked as i had kk and never had this happen to me before.

I just decided to let it go as most of the players agreed that my hand was mucked and i needed to keep a chip on top or place them closer to me. Is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats standard and correct assuming that the cards were mixed. Some People think merely touching is enough to kill a hand, but if there is no risk of confusion as to which cards belonged to who there is no reason for a hand to be killed.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM

absolutely not. I would be so frikking pissed if they try this [censored] on me that I would leave and never come back to that [censored]. If you start a big debate on how you want to stay in the hand you reveal the strength of your had wich is bad anyway, so you losing so much money just because some idiot can't trow his hand away properly would never have to mean youd hand is mucked
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Use a card cover. It is your responsibility to protect your cards. While many times the mucked cards can be separated, you don't want to rely on that.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:10 AM

Even with a card protector, if someone slides his cards into yours, they can still be mixed up.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Okay, so, even if they can get mixed up, it's much less likely. I may get crushed by a falling piano, but I'm still going to wear a seatbelt.

Unless the cards were easily identifiable from the backs of them, the hand is dead. It's unfortunate, but reality. And in some places, even if you can tell which is which, still a dead hand. This happens by mistake all the time.

Rule #1 is Protect Your Hand. This manifests in many ways, but putting a chip on them to protect them is top among them.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM

I think it is standard, but also the BB should be at the least severely warned. If he ever does anything like this again (not just the same night, but any night), he should be punished, up to being banned from the game.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is standard, but also the BB should be at the least severely warned. If he ever does anything like this again (not just the same night, but any night), he should be punished, up to being banned from the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you assuming this was intentional, because I sort of assumed it was an accident.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM

i was dealing (and playing) at a poker tourney yesterday when 2 players went to the flop and i was gathering all folded hands. i accidently collected one active players cards and he pointed this out to me. i decided the best course of action was for him to whisper me his cards ( he is good player therefore can remember the suit(s) ) and he whispered AdQd ( which bore no relevence to the flop)and in the pile of folded cards AdQd were next to eachother. so i gave him them. everyone seemed happy with the way it was handled but i wasnt sure if it was the "correct" way. ruling plz?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was dealing (and playing) at a poker tourney yesterday when 2 players went to the flop and i was gathering all folded hands. i accidently collected one active players cards and he pointed this out to me. i decided the best course of action was for him to whisper me his cards ( he is good player therefore can remember the suit(s) ) and he whispered AdQd ( which bore no relevence to the flop)and in the pile of folded cards AdQd were next to eachother. so i gave him them. everyone seemed happy with the way it was handled but i wasnt sure if it was the "correct" way. ruling plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I like to see an effort made to not accidently kill hands, there is a problem with your method. Another player may have legitimate concenrs about whether you and the player with the mucked hand are cheating.

imagine you are in the game when this happens and lets suppose you don't all know each other that well. Maybe you don't even like the dealaer. Now you get into a big hand with the a player, the dealer sweeps up his cards, he whispers to the dealer the dealer looks threw the muck and gives the player two cards. they turn out to be a monster (but they are also cards that most people would not have called your preflop raise with) -- might it go though your mind that they were working together?

If you are going to do this sort of thing I at least recommend that the player write down his cards, so that after the hand you can at least eliminate the possibility that the dealer simply picked out the best two from the muck.