Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Learning to play better when losing.

So I went on a very bad run. Stepped right down in limits. My roll is currently super healthy for the limits Im playing. Im waaaaaay overrolled, but I'm happy to grind it out for a bit, probably until the end of the year. since I started after my bad run, about 10 days ago, I've played very well. I've also run very well. I havent really tilted. However, I just had a bad session. It wasnt even terrible. Just very frustrating HU, not hitting any hands, running into quite a few hands, getting some bad beats etc.

Anyway, Im playing at a level where I am super fine broll wise. So today I prolly lost about 1% of my roll and started tilted. It was nothing hardcore. I lost about another 1% of my roll or so, and was playing +EV poker during that time, but less EV than if I wasnt tilting. ANyway, eventually I stopped playing, despite playing a very bad player HU, cos I was just too frustrated.

This had hindered me, and will continue to hinder me. If I could play as well when losing than when winning, I would/will be a lot richer, and I'd like to achieve that.

Looking for practical steps.

Dean
Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Learning to play better when losing.

keeping cool durring SH and HU sessions is so key. i suggest listening to calm music while playing. sometimes that helps me. also, after a rough hand (ur playing limit, so its not even like u can lose ur whole stack, hopefully lol) review it, and make sure u played it as best u could. there is nothing you can personally do about the variance.

and sometimes, if ur running like hell and feeling bad...just sitout, go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, and calm out for a minute...then go back to work. sometimes i have to do with 5-10 times in a session...but whateva keeps u sane, right?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:40 AM

Playing short sessions when running poorly has got to be #993 on the list of poker leaks to worry about
Old 11-20-2006, 02:43 AM

It wasnt that short. I definitely played on too long.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:05 AM

Slow deep breaths. Breathe in. IN some more. Even more. HOld it. Now breathe out, slowly, through pursed lips. Keep breathing out. Keep breathing out until there is no more breath. THen hold it. Wait. Wait. Ok, now breathe normally. Or else repeat.

Seriously.

Also, if things are going bad for me at a table, i like to slow the action down. WHen the action comes to me, and even if i am going to fold, i will wait until the last second to hit the fold button. I will do this for as long as it takes for people to start getting p*ssed off. Sometimes, it actually tilts other people, and I'll hit a hand and good things happen.

Finally, go to a micro limit table, and just keep going all in preflop.

I am in the middle of a terrible session right now and am about to f9cking break my computer screen.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if things are going bad for me at a table, i like to slow the action down. WHen the action comes to me, and even if i am going to fold, i will wait until the last second to hit the fold button. I will do this for as long as it takes for people to start getting p*ssed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pissed me off just reading this. What a douche move. If you need to slow your action down, sit out an orbit and walk around the block for the love of god.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a douche move. If you need to slow your action down, sit out an orbit and walk around the block for the love of god.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What a douche move. If you need to slow your action down, sit out an orbit and walk around the block for the love of god.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha. If the website gives me 30/60/90 seconds (whatever) to make a decision as to whether to bet, raise or fold, then why can't I take the full 30/60/90 seconds to make my action? Especially if doing so (a) will help me calm down from a bad beat or cooler or whatever it was that got me steamed and (b) may potentially cause other players to play less than optimally? As long as I am not violating any rules of play, I don't see a problem. If you are at the table and u don't like it, I say screw you, go find another table. There are plenty of other tables online.

Also, what does QFT mean? Prolly a stupid question but I'm not necessarily "hip" to all the anagram-lingo on these message boards.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM

Quoted for truth.

And there are many impolite plays that are valid according to official rules.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha. If the website gives me 30/60/90 seconds (whatever) to make a decision as to whether to bet, raise or fold, then why can't I take the full 30/60/90 seconds to make my action? Especially if doing so (a) will help me calm down from a bad beat or cooler or whatever it was that got me steamed and (b) may potentially cause other players to play less than optimally? As long as I am not violating any rules of play, I don't see a problem. If you are at the table and u don't like it, I say screw you, go find another table. There are plenty of other tables online.

Also, what does QFT mean? Prolly a stupid question but I'm not necessarily "hip" to all the anagram-lingo on these message boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

It means quit f$cking timing-out. ("Quoted for truth" actually). I didn't say you couldn't take your full time. I just told you that you were a douchebag for doing it...and that fact is pretty much indisputable. Big difference.

Anyways, apologies to Dean for derailing this thread. I am done.

Neko