Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Re: ** NBA Conference Finals **

Yeah, Harris is the X-Factor here. Who do you put on him? Steve Nash can't contain him. Raja Bell? If so, Josh Howard's going to have his ways with Shawn Marion. Either way Dirk's going to be guarded by someone way less qualified to guard him than Bruce Bowen. I imagine abuse of the pick and roll with Dirk to get him matched up on Nash.

I think the Suns matched up okay with the Spurs - the Spurs are kinda like the Clippers in that they're a more traditional based team with slower big men, just better. The Mavs big men are quicker and will clean the boards, but at the same time, be able to guard Tim Thomas and Boris Diaw effectively.

It'll be fun to see, that's for sure.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:56 PM

Marion will be on Dirk. If they continue to start Harris then Nash will start on him with Bell on Terry (probably Bell on Stack when hes in). They will probably put Barbosa on Harris when hes in cause he can match his speed at least. Anyway one thing people have to understand is there are tons of mismatches on both sides, not just the Mavs.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM

Harris will eat Nash alive on offense. Vice-versa is true, but I think Harris will be slightly more effective containing Nash then the other way around.

However, Nash has the whole "crafty veteran" thing working for him, while Harris is still very inexperienced. The advantage goes to Nash, but I like the match up. In one of the early games this season, Nash had 10 TOs with Harris guarding him most of the game.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Suns matched up okay with the Spurs - the Spurs are kinda like the Clippers in that they're a more traditional based team with slower big men, just better. The Mavs big men are quicker and will clean the boards, but at the same time, be able to guard Tim Thomas and Boris Diaw effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]
Availability heuristic. All the Suns fans in this thread are very happy to NOT be playing the Spurs, based off of watching the Spurs dominate the Suns the past two seasons (and it's hard to argue it would have been different this time, as the Spurs had a franchise high in wins and didn't exactly suck in the playoffs).

The Dallas fans arguing the opposite don't seem to realize the Suns have the same demons with the Spurs that the Mavs just conquered, if only to a lesser extent. It goes beyond matchups.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:44 PM

The spurs have dominated the suns because they have a fantastic defense if the Mavericks do the same this year they should have a fairly easy series.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The spurs have dominated the suns because they have a fantastic defense

[/ QUOTE ]

not true they really didnt slow them down much at all, not the place for this debate right now though, a lot of it is the mental aspect tuq brought up though

EDIT: there was the stretches in the 4th they played great D so i shouldnt say "not at all"
Old 05-24-2006, 05:52 PM

I'm not saying the Suns match up very well the Spurs, I'm saying they match up well against that type of team. That said, the talent disparity would've been too much and the Spurs would've smoked the Suns.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
much much better against the Mavs, tdarko will disagree but its true if you know the suns well

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't disagree as much as you think. I do think they matchup better against Dallas but not "much much" better.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:33 PM

tuq,

If the suns win, the LOLLERCAUST is more than deserved and is expected. GL tonight. Take care.

~td
Old 05-24-2006, 07:45 PM

The thought of Stern handing Steve Nash the finals MVP trophy is making me a little sick. Lets go Mavs.