Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: WOW WOW OMG WTF BBQ new Coen brothers movie trailer

[ QUOTE ]
hey guys who have read blooed meridian.

i just read the first chapter or so, and at the risk of sounding like a simpleton its sort of a tough read. does the reader grow accustomed to the writing style or does it get easier as the book goes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be the same pretty much all the way through. You'll get used to it, somewhat, but you'll still feel like you're forcing your way through the text, however, this is a book you can read once a year for the rest of your life, and still get something from it.

The second read-through well be loads easier, almost natural, and then you'll be able to enjoy the prose for it's structure as well as it's content.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Just saw this on Friday. Outstanding movie. I was surprised and disappointed when it ended, but only because I wanted it to go on forever.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM

kneeco,

possible spoilers

i thought all of those things were obvious, based on the cues in the movie. i haven't read the book... is there ambiguity about some of those things or something?

re: folks asking about the closing monologue. i thought it was great, but mostly due to TLJ's delivery, it's not terribly complicated, is it? i mean it's a life/death kinda allegory, muddling through the dark, the father goes ahead to 'get the fire ready,' etc. i don't think we need a literal translation or anything, the symbolism is pretty obvious.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kneeco,

possible spoilers

i thought all of those things were obvious, based on the cues in the movie. i haven't read the book... is there ambiguity about some of those things or something?

re: folks asking about the closing monologue. i thought it was great, but mostly due to TLJ's delivery, it's not terribly complicated, is it? i mean it's a life/death kinda allegory, muddling through the dark, the father goes ahead to 'get the fire ready,' etc. i don't think we need a literal translation or anything, the symbolism is pretty obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

the book is actually much less ambiguous than the movie. in the book, there are pretty concrete answers to a few of the things that people were confused about in the movie. (i tend to agree with you that the movie wasn't that ambiguous either)

The last little story is a metaphor for "life" but some people think it is hopeful and others think it's depressing. Different interpretations can change the meaning for different people.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kneeco,

possible spoilers

[/ QUOTE ]

spoilers

Well there were just some of the issues that I heard mentioned in the theater and by friends and such, I do think there's some ambiguity to a couple of issues:
<font color="white">Some people seem to believe Shiguar couldn't have been in the room. I was talking to a friend today who said Lewalyn wasn't killed in his own room, he was in the girls room when he was killed, where Shiguar would have checked first, then moved on to the room next door, which is where we see him when the Sheriff is outside. I don't know if that's the case, but we both recalled the girl in the pool mentioning his room number during their convo, so i'll have to check next viewing.

Also a lot of other people seem to think the window was unlocked, but I don't think it was.

Finally, with regards to who ends up with the money, yea I wouldn't say its at all ambiguous, I was just posting it as a follow up to the New Yorker humor piece. </font>
Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey guys who have read blooed meridian.

i just read the first chapter or so, and at the risk of sounding like a simpleton its sort of a tough read. does the reader grow accustomed to the writing style or does it get easier as the book goes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be the same pretty much all the way through. You'll get used to it, somewhat, but you'll still feel like you're forcing your way through the text, however, this is a book you can read once a year for the rest of your life, and still get something from it.

The second read-through well be loads easier, almost natural, and then you'll be able to enjoy the prose for it's structure as well as it's content.

[/ QUOTE ]

The prose won't be getting any less dense. Also, there is a bunch of dialogue in spanish which isn't translated, and he uses a bunch of english words that I have to look up in the dictionary every time I read the book. You won't get a lot of it the first time through. I sure didn't.

My advice is to just keep banging away and try to get the simple character based stuff. Once you get into a few of the characters you will be sucked in. And then it will be easier to go back and read again.