Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Couple of 2-7 hands, #3 OTB, good 9 OOP

Been playing in the Wynn 20/40 mixed game, thank god most of them aren't very good. The mix has been O8, 2-7, Badugi, S8, with HE thrown in if someone really wants to play it.

Hand 1

Fish limps, I raise OTB w/ 6532x, friend of mine that is a good HE, O8, S8 player, but learning the draw games like me calls in the BB

BB draws 1, fish draws 2, I draw 1 and get a 7 making a #3
(76432)

They check, I bet, they both call.

They both draw 1, I rap pat.

Same action as the 1st draw.

They both draw 1 and I'm pat.

BB now donks, fish folds, I...

Hand 2

Fish limps, CO pops it, I call in the BB w/ 6432x (anyone like 3-bets?)

I draw 1, Fish draws 2, CO draws 1, mine is a face card.

CO bets, we both call.

I draw 1, fish draws 1, CO raps pat, I catch a 9 making 96432.

What's my line? I decided to c/c and rap pat, but think that other lines involving betting might be better. Should I be more likely to bet a bad 9, hoping that's what the CO has and try to force him to break it?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Couple of 2-7 hands, #3 OTB, good 9 OOP

I did have a #3 76532, not a 76432. I got my starting hand right but mistyped the hand after the 1st draw.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM

hand 1
RAZOOOOOOO the RIVER...

hand 2
if the fish is prone to folding preflop I 3 bet 100%, if the fish is unknown I still 3 bet 60%+, when you dont 3 bet and draw 1, you hand becomes kind of transparent

once you make the 9-6 I check call and get to a showdown

in my experience it is nearly impossible to make someone break a 9, and if he has a "breakable 9" then you dont want him to break it
Old 01-24-2007, 03:39 PM

I'd raise in hand 1. I'd raise 23468 and better but that's just in my experience online in the 30/60.

In hand 2 I 3 bet. We've got a decent 8 card draw (12 if you count the 9s) 3 times which is pretty strong considering the raiser could easily have a worse hand than ours. Once he raps I think it's really close and player dependent. Is the cutoff good? If I'm the cutoff I'm standing pat with a J, T or 9 here against 2 opponents drawing 1 and then not betting on the end. If he's straight forward I think you can stand pat and he might check it on the river and you can take the pot down.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm the cutoff I'm standing pat with a J, T or 9 here against 2 opponents drawing 1 and then not betting on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought a 10-7 was an underdog to 2 opponents with legetament 1 card draws ?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm the cutoff I'm standing pat with a J, T or 9 here against 2 opponents drawing 1 and then not betting on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought a 10-7 was an underdog to 2 opponents with legetament 1 card draws ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't mean breaking is better. You might go from say, 40% to win when standing pat, down to 35% or even 30% when drawing. Play around with it on twodimes.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Hi Matt -

I used to see you all the time; in Vegas, on planes and at FW's. Where the heck have you been?

[ QUOTE ]
I still 3 bet 60%+, when you dont 3 bet and draw 1, you hand becomes kind of transparent

once you make the 9-6 I check call and get to a showdown

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the effects of position more in this game than in HE. Being OOP really sucks. Also, it seems that there is more ability to "play poker" and I've just started to try to explore those avenues.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:35 PM

hey Barry,

I was at Foxwoods for there WPT, been hanging out in Boston playing online since.

Ill be heading to LAPC 2/8...

I agree that position is huge, but getting the pot HU is big with the overlay of dead money.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM

Hand 1 easy raise obv (if you dont raise here, people should donk just about any hand into you w/o fear of being raised).. But you will throw up when you get 3 bet.

Hand 2. Your overall line on this hand= weak tight and ugly. You have to 3 bet this hand, if you dont want to 3 bet than draw 2 (at 234). After youve shown more strength i dont hate standing pat on the 96 w/o raising. As played though hes going to know pretty much exactly what you have and play perfectly against you (this is bad when your pat oop with a 9). I really think the CO has an 8 and your in trouble anyways, but if you had shown more strength early in this hand you could of put more doubt into him as far as your holding, and if he could value bet an ugly 8 on river.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Agree with InWithTheBest on all counts. Normally, getting 3 bet on the river in hand 1 would be easy to call or even cap in mid stakes online games, because since he just called and drew one you would think his hand is very weak. Unfortunately, this guy sounds like he plays like the OP and could just call preflop and draw one to the nuts or near nuts, so that complicates things a bit, but luckily for us it saves us money in the long run.

From these hands it sounds like this game plays very weak tight and a snow-happy good hand reader would do very well.

-DeathDonkey