Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Am I crazy or is this a ridiculous ruling? (side game post)

[ QUOTE ]
talking on the phone, texting or communicating using an electronic device is prohibited while a hand is in play)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because something is prohibited doesn't mean it kills someone's hand. A few examples of things that are prohibited that don't kill a hand : throwing a rack at the dealer, spitting on the dealer, or telling everyone around to go f themselves. Do you feel that talking on a phone should have a more severe penalty than those actions? Generally players that ask the floor to kill the other player's hand so they can win without the best hand should be pointed to the place down the street.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
talking on the phone, texting or communicating using an electronic device is prohibited while a hand is in play)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because something is prohibited doesn't mean it kills someone's hand. A few examples of things that are prohibited that don't kill a hand : throwing a rack at the dealer, spitting on the dealer, or telling everyone around to go f themselves. Do you feel that talking on a phone should have a more severe penalty than those actions? Generally players that ask the floor to kill the other player's hand so they can win without the best hand should be pointed to the place down the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

But in this case, if it is prohibited, the rule states that the hand is dead. In those other cases, it doesn't.
Wow, lotsa haters in this thread. I have to side with the OP on this one. Whether or not he was being a dick at the table or in this thread is incidental (and we don't know if he was anyway). No poker rules state, "If this happens, the correct ruling is X, unless one of the players is a douchebag."

If the rule in that poker room is that a hand is supposed to be dead if someone answers a phone with a hand in play, then there isn't much room for floorman discretion.

People make mistakes in poker and these mistakes make the game profitable for the other players. Whether the mistake is in the form of game strategy or game procedure, it doesn't matter. This guy made a mistake of answering his phone and the hand should've been dead, and the OP has every right to ask for the rules of the game to be followed. Doesn't make him a dick.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if it is prohibited, the rule states that the hand is dead

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP makes no such claim. He is claiming since it is prohibited that it follows that his hand is dead.

[ QUOTE ]
No poker rules state, "If this happens, the correct ruling is X, unless one of the players is a douchebag."

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure of that? Perhaps you should look at this:
[ QUOTE ]
8. The same action may have a different meaning, depending on who does it, so the possible intent of an offender will be taken into consideration. Some factors here are the person’s amount of poker experience and past record.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If the rule in that poker room is that a hand is supposed to be dead if someone answers a phone with a hand in play, then there isn't much room for floorman discretion.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is this rule that the guys saying "kill that hand so I can steal his pot" forget about.
[ QUOTE ]
1. Management reserves the right to make decisions in the spirit of fairness, even if a strict interpretation of the rules may indicate a different ruling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if it is prohibited, the rule states that the hand is dead

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP makes no such claim. He is claiming since it is prohibited that it follows that his hand is dead.

[ QUOTE ]
No poker rules state, "If this happens, the correct ruling is X, unless one of the players is a douchebag."

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure of that? Perhaps you should look at this:
[ QUOTE ]
8. The same action may have a different meaning, depending on who does it, so the possible intent of an offender will be taken into consideration. Some factors here are the person’s amount of poker experience and past record.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is this rule that the guys saying "kill that hand so I can steal his pot" forget about.
[ QUOTE ]
1. Management reserves the right to make decisions in the spirit of fairness, even if a strict interpretation of the rules may indicate a different ruling.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about all of it. So I guess then all I have to say is that although the floorman has a right to use his own discretion, etc. I think he made a bad decision. Especially after the dealer AND floorman #1 ruled it one way.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:05 AM

This is where understanding the actual rules is very important.

Talking on a phone is prohibited, but obviously the rule does not state that anyone on the phone has a hand declared dead. Most rules give the floor a great deal of discretion as to what to do.

I wouldn't have gone angle shooting, if only for the reason that if my angle shot fails, I lose. If I was that unconfident about my read, I wouldn't have shot that angle unless I was damn sure it was the only way I could win that hand. (Maybe you knew this subconsciously.)

You got very close to pulling it off, though. If the game is that juicy, I don't understand why you'd want to do anything to antagonize the players in what is obviously a very profitable game if they are there. You want them to be happy to ship you money.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 AM

In general, the rule at the Rio this year has been that if you talk on a phone, your hand is ruled dead. I've seen it enforced at both cash games and tourney tables. I've also seen dealers and floor people let it slide. In this case it seems clear that the floor decided that the OP was an angle-shooting scumbag and ruled against him. C'est la vie.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seems to me that you were shooting an angle and got what you deserved

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Seriously, nobody who plays the game for real would ever call for a decision here. It's like calling a string bet against someone for the slightest infraction. It puts a target on your back as both a douche and a newbie.

If you'd have said "Look, we're in a hand here--you shouldn't even answer your phone," that would have been douche-ish, but not full-blown douche.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM

What's with all of the angle-shooting douchebags posting on here all of a sudden? It seems like there's a new one every day.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"Is there anything else I could have done?"

Yeah, you could have tried not being a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT