Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Early hand WSOPC event, top set all club flop

This hand has been a topic of discussion amongst my poker playing coworkers since Saturday. Some like my line, some want my whole stack in the middle, some want a small pot.

$340, 1150 entrant tourney last Saturday. Effective stacks are T4000 for all players. Third hand in, so reads are weak. EP is middle aged Asian woman who won the first two hands by betting every street.

Level 1 (10 handed): 25/50 blinds
Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero raises to 200, 1 fold, EP calls 200, 2 folds, HJ calls 200, CO calls 200, 1 fold, SB calls 175, BB calls 150.

I didn't like limping here because I had no idea how aggressive the table was going to be - if I limp-call I'm broadcasting my hand, and I had no reason to expect EP to do anything but raise herself. Truthfully, I didn't mind playing a big implied odds pot with 99 this early so I was happy to get a school of callers.

Flop (pot 1000): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 750, EP calls 750, 2 folds, SB calls 750, BB calls 750.

I know I have to bet here to punish lone big clubs, but I wasn't sure how many callers to expect. At the time I wanted to thin the field to no more than 2 other players, or get it heads up if I could. I like the bet size as it gives bad pot odds for a turn to the first 3 callers. At the time, I was worried about getting pot committed against a flush (which leads to the questionable turn).

Turn (pot 4000): [9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 1600, 2 folds, BB calls 1600.

With the blinds going call-check-call-check so far I figure them to be weak at best and willing to call another bet maybe. I find myself in a situation where any reasonable bet is pot committing and a shove is a pot sized bet. Looking back, I hate my bet size here. I do however [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BB for calling me three times out of position and EP for folding the turn.

River (pot 6200): [9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero checks.

BB thought about betting, then checked. I interpreted that as a hand that realized he couldn't bluff at that pot due to its size. I probably should have shoved my last 2500 in but I couldn't find a hand that I beat that would call.