Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Help with a Hand (nl live hutrn $200)

live hand in a Hu tournamnet me and some freinds pu on every Friday locally. buy in $200 there is a spot for 32 guys in my Basement, but w usually get 16 so to show up. the same group of guys always shows up, they are decent reg. tourn. players, but are just gamblers really, guys with decent RL jobs who hav money and dont care if they lose $1,000 in a night as long as wee give them drinks.
Ne way. it gets down to 4 pl left and i run into this hand
specifics. blinds are 100/200
about 40 hands in blind levels are 35 min

Hero is bb
Hero($29,500)
villian($10,500)
hero posts $200
villan posts $100
hero is delt AsJs
villan raise to $1000
Hero re-raises to $3600
villan calls $2600
pot $7200
flop {AcKsKh}
Hero checks
Villan raises to $6900 and is all-in

reads are as follows, plays a lot of paint rag hands like k2-j2. he is super aggro wih draws, but plays the nuts the same way usually. he is generally a solid player in Fr but really lacks understanding of HU poker.
needless to say i felt weak here with a mediocre ace, and 2 kings showing. its been awhile sice ivereally played so maybe this should be an insta call, see how i have dominated him, but i just felt weak, he shoved quickly after i checked, and seemed confident that he was good, maybe he read that i was without ace, due to my check and im way ahead....
give me some opinions
thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Help with a Hand (nl live hutrn $200)

Definitely have to call this.

If you're not calling this you're not 3-betting this PF.

Also, what's with FR guy opening 5x bb?

I don't like your 3-bet to 3600 here, given stack sizes. I'd like a smaller 3-bet if this guy is really that weak-tight or a shove if he's opening a lot of hands this way.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 PM

alright, so my 3 bet was a mistake, unless i intended to go all the way in the hand as played. if say i had just min re-raised or to 2500 or so, would i be able to get away from the hand? or am i married to it by re-raising at all? when i re-raised, my thoughts were his over raise of 5x, was a tell that he was weak as he had done it twice before and showed rags, and normally bet 3x, and that he woud simply lay the hand down,. when he called i stared to think tht he called to throw me off he was weak, and to seem strong to me.
the 2 kings really threw me, though as his range included many weak king combos, and possiblya decent king like kq,kj.
i think i should have either check folded, or just shoved the flop here? thoughts
Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 AM

You are getting just better then 2:1. No way the 2/3 of the hands is shoving beats you. In fact, even for an aggro player, I think a K is a small part of his range since he would probably check 1 street. You can't be sure you are ahead but this is an auto an instant call.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 AM

Easy easy call for reasons stated.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 PM

ok, well of course i called, and he fliped over k9. i river the ace and was berrated on myway to taking this down for the first time out of 6 tournys. i usually take that hecklers with a grain of salt, as i feel i am a far superior player than all of them (no ego), but for some reason being called a donky for calling with top pair on that board, made me wonder if i made the right play regardless of the results.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Call because if hes playing K2 hes playing A2 which means your definitely winning at least 33% clearly, who knows maybe he does this with QJ, QT, JT too your fine calling here but you should expect to see Kx somewhat often.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 AM

He could also have ATC since he knows you have to fold without an ace or king. Obviously him having the K isn't a shocker, but it is still the correct call based on how you described the villian. You may have sucked out, but a good call is a good call even if it was a wrong call.