Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Am I a tard for not wanting to go to grad school?

My back story: I am in my junior year right now, and should graduate on time despite missing a semester (AP credits FTW!). My GPA right now is about 3.2, but it's been a rough semester and it'll probably be around 2.95 once the dust settles. From what I can tell from what I have to take to graduate, my final GPA is likely to be in that neighborhood (2.8-3.1). I'm scheduled to graduate from undergrad studies with a mathematics degree in May of '09...

...and I want to be DONE.

I gotta be honest--I am completely exhausted with education. What I want to do from here on out is finish up my requirements, take maybe one or two graduate level math courses my senior year, and hit the career center starting this winter. (I was planning on getting a preliminary resume pulled together no later than the upcoming winter break, and maybe over the Thanksgiving break.) I want to focus on getting employment after graduation.

So, we come upon the question that I presented in the title. Many of the other math majors here are going to grad school. I have given no thought to even applying, since a) a sub-3.0 GPA doesn't seem to impress anyone, and b) I'm not sure if I even want to go to grad school. If I'm so worn from undergrad studies, it just doesn't make that much sense to me to go to grad school, since I know that a master's requires more commitment than just a bachelor's.

So, am I a sucker for wanting to get a job after school's over? Is a B.Sci in math still useful? I am getting a lot of pressure from people like professors to go to grad school; my family seems fine with me leaving school with a bachelor's. The average starting salary for math majors from my school is pretty good (around $45K a year in 2003, which is the most recent year I can immediately obtain).

Also, would getting an internship for the summer significantly change the tard-iness of employment?